Help! I blew up my amp head.

I think I may have exploded my Epiphone Valve Junior head...

I am restoring an old Farfisa Fast 4 organ, so I have it in various pieces (for cleaning purposes) and it's missing some inside brackets to hold up the top part with the voice rocker tabs that also has the power switch. I was using the organ in this state (and have been on and off for a bit now) with a piece of the siding propping up this middle piece (with the power switch) so that the wires soldered to the jack wouldn't make metal contact with the metal bars connected to the keys below (because otherwise POOF, I have done it twice now by accident).

I was changing some cords on my amp (Epipy head with it's matching cab) and accidentally knocked this piece off the organ, dropping the power switch onto the metal key things and POOF again, except this time the organ and amp were on and now whenever I turn on the amp head, regardless if something is hooked to it or not, it just freaks out and makes terrible dirty pot/chirping/sci-fi sounds that get really loud and it gives me signal from whatever is plugged in.

I'm a retard I know, but I've never tinkered inside a tube amp before (because I would probably kill myself with the luck I've been having this month) so how !@#$ed am I? Did I blow up something in the amp...or did I just kill the tubes? I can post pictures if needed.

UPDATE -- Also, there was no black puff of smoke from the amp or any noticeable smell.

Last edited:
Look at the board. Look for burn spots. Look for melted wires.Try new tubes.

If you don't find any clues it might be shot. I doubt if it's worth the cost to have this thing repaired.

Just in case anybody does a search and finds this later on...

I blew the ground (trace? my phone is quiet and muffled) trace on the one part of my amp. It was the underside of the circuit board I couldn't see that was all blackened. So I'm apparently lucky to be alive and the guy had only seen it that bad once or twice before, and that was from a bad short from rain.

The organ is now back together so I should never have that issue again, I did however electrical tape the hell out of the underside of the power switch and the metal keys underneath it...just in case.

So I'm apparently lucky to be alive and the guy had only seen it that bad once or twice before, and that was from a bad short from rain.

So I'm curious what the repair shop said to the guy who was running his amp in the rain! :D

"DUMMY!"...you think? :)

So I'm curious what the repair shop said to the guy who was running his amp in the rain! :D

"DUMMY!"...you think? :)

He must have been into Zeppelin and was trying to play "Fool In The Rain". Or maybe he was trying to imitate one of those MTV music videos from the 80s.

Does anybody have any advice as far as using really old gear that still uses 2 prong power plugs? The organ is from the late '60s and short of messing with the power supply (which I'm sure as hell not doing) is there any sort of adapter I can use to help polarize it? I see there are "cheater plugs" from going the other way (plugging 3 prong into a 2 prong plug), but what about the other way?

Does anybody have any advice as far as using really old gear that still uses 2 prong power plugs? The organ is from the late '60s and short of messing with the power supply (which I'm sure as hell not doing) is there any sort of adapter I can use to help polarize it? I see there are "cheater plugs" from going the other way (plugging 3 prong into a 2 prong plug), but what about the other way?

There is no way to adapt a two conductor power cord to a three conductor one with an adapter at the plug end; the chassis needs to be connected to earth ground through a dedicated conductor. You can change out a power cord pretty easily. Get a 3 conductor replacement cord and connect the green wire to a screw in the chassis. White to white and black to black (be sure not to reverse these).

blown epiphone

Please be carefull.... you probably have 400vdc or so running across your tube plates...... im not familiar with this amp but most are about the same..check for an internal fuse and check the external fuze...maybe you will be lucky....

then check the tubes on a tube tester....

mellonhead

Back