Heaphone gadget for playing on top of recorded track?

ioplex

I want to record a track like chord progression and then play it back mixed with my guitar input through headphones.

It seems to me there should be some kind of song writing gizmo specifically designed for this. The computer would do the job no doubt but I spend 10 hours a day in front of the computer writing software and the point of all of this is get away from the computer for an hour a day.

I don't care about synthesized drums and such but it would be nice if it had some digital effects builtin like stereo chorus. Also it would be nice if it had an SD card or flash so that I can save something I liked without actually having to hook it up to the computer.

Price range is $500.

Can anyone recommend something?

Honestly, this is SO much easier to do on a computer than on anything else, that especially if you're looking at throwing $500 at the problem, your best bet is to just grab Reaper and Fruity Loops and do some digital recording. I spend the same sort of time as you in front of a computer at work and generally avoid them outside, but the big exception is jamming, where I'm constantly using it to play backing tracks or sequence drum beats to jam along with. It's not nearly so bad if you don't sit down in front of it. ;)

A mixer...you could buy a super cheap one since it isnt in the signal path...just go with your headphone out...into a line in on the mixer...along with the stuff you want to add to the headphone mix...and plug your phones into the mixer.

I use this: Alesis PMG Playmate Guitarist CD Player

Picked mine up for $100 retail a year back although it was discontinued, I believe. You can probably still find one with a search. Great little unit for what it is--I use mine for songwriting and practicing parts.

Jesus, it doesn't take $500 to do that. Consider buying a Zoom H4n. For $300 you get a portable, battery capable 4 track recorder with amp and cab modeling, built in mics, instrument input, 2 mic jacks with phantom power, and the capability to use it as a conputer interface to burn to CD or perform further processing in Cubase, which is included. Don't want to plug it into a computer? Then don't, but I bet you change your mind down the road, after you've built a CD's worth of material on the thing.-Richie

Now I'm looking at the Zoom R16:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/R16/

It looks like it's pretty much the same thing as the Korg SOS but for an extra $100 you get a more friendly control surface (of course it takes up a lot more space).

Does anyone have any experience with this product?

Does Zoom make solid equipment?

Back