Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Not too bad

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Blows Chunks

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Good job, Bird!
It ain't perfect, but I can sure tell who you are emulating. I have also heard a killer SRV patch tweaked out of a V-Amp2. Pretty damn amazing that tube amp tones are getting so realistic coming out of a solid-state box.

tdukex said:
I like. Why don't you post your settings here, Firebird.

I'll give it some thought. I spent a lot of time building this patch and I'm not so sure I want to just give it away.

You know, when you're onto to something good sometimes you're better off if you keep your mouth shut.

Pretty please with sugar on top? By the way I saved your "tubby texas tone" as well. Hats off to anyone that's willing to post the results of their hard work. This stuff can be a real time saver. We could almost have a forum just to share patches.

Twist

Quite impressive, 64FB!

And very nice playing, too.

Could you at least point us what your basic model/cabs were?

Not too bad, but doesn't have the depth, nor the accuracy. For a demo, it would be fine, but this ain't quite it. It has that "sameness" to the sound that all emulators have. Putting it out on it's own is one thing, but now put that tone in a mix with great sounding powerful drums, and a full rich bass tone. It is going to disappear in a hurry. Been there, done that. It is the same trap all emulator users fall for, sounds okay on it's own, doesn't hold up in a mix, and certainly doesn't have the same overall characteristics of the tone it is trying to emulate, and has that "plastic" sound always.

I am REALLY awaiting to hear an emulation of Heart guitar tones (Barracuda would be suitable...:D) and old EVH, and AC/DC.

STILL not holding my breath.

Ed

Sounds like a J-Station. I play through one every week at my jam session... it's getting old for me quick. The distortion character with your sample is pretty much right on, but the way it sits there, just flat, in this really dull space... ughhh.

Sounds like yer on the right track, it has a lot of SRV quality to the tone- as far as some of the above criticism, this sounds like a straight recording out of the J-box, it hasn't been slicked up (yet) with stereo imaging, reverb, delay, etc. so I think its a little unfair to compare it as it is to what you hear on commercial cds. I think it does sound a little Jstationistic; what is lacking to my old ears for the SRV thing is - a) its maybe just a tad too distorted b) it doesn't have that bit of metallic, clangy, focused quality that I don't have a clue how to achieve with the J Hole. Just fer fun, try the '65 tweed 1x12, and let me know what you think...
My criticism of the J station is that most of the speaker/cab sims are too dark and muddy, I find myself using the '65 tweed 1x12, tweed 1x12, the ivy league 1x10, and the boutique 4x12 for all my amp sim patches - they seem more focused and realistic than the others, and have less speaker breakup. I recently aquired a Dano eq pedal ($30), and have just started experimenting with that on the front end to try and "clean" it up a little.
I have to respectfully disagree with Sonusman as far as the in-the-mix thing, with my very limited experience, when I listen to the J Box alone, it just doesn't have the magic of playing thru a real amp, but sounds more realistic and convincing in the context of a mix. (at least with clean to moderately overdriven tones)
Keep 'em comin' 64

I think it's fine. Unless you have the exact setup SRV had, you aint gonna get the exact sound. It's good enough to satisfy 99% of the listeners you'll run across. I guess I put myself in that group. I'm quite sure that was not a tweek here and a tweek there....it had to take quite a while to build. Good job.

bd

I'm sure I'm not hearing this sample under the most flattering circumstances (computer speakers, online, and the level's too low), and I'm no fan of, nor authority on, anything SRV anyway, but it sounds OK from what I can hear of it.

What I'm really interested in hearing is a refined J-Station NuMetal patch.

First of all, thanks for the complements about my playing. People tell me all the time that I play well, but it means a lot more coming from other guitar players.

The mp3 is on the quiet side. That's because it's nothing but line out from the J-Station. We didn't do anything to the sound at all after it was recorded. I'm really happy that nobody so far thought it was bad.

Now, about those settings.

The amp model is Brit Master Vol. The Gain is set at 4.8, the treb is at 9.0, mid at 3.0, bass at 3.9 and level at 7.2. The cabinet is Brit 4X12.

I'm using the compressor and the settings are: ratio at inf:1, Threshold at -25dB, freq full and gain at 10.

Reverb type is hall, diffusion 99, density 99, decay 2 and level 17.

I'm using the noise gate only to stop the hum from the pickups. It's set at attack 0 and threshold 56.

Everything else is turned off. Try turning down the amp gain a little for a cleaner SRV tone and fool around with the Lesley some to and see if you can get that "Cold Shot" sound. If anyone can make it sound better, I'm up for learning something new.

I'm playing a Jap Strat with Tex Sp pups. Your Strat tone may very.

Oh, and sonusman, I don't have any use for a Heart, AC/DC or VH patch. That's just not what I'm into and I'm not willing to spend my time on a patch that I have no use for. But, you might want to try the setting I put up for a ZZ Top patch. I made a few mods to it though, so scroll down and get all the info.

Last edited:
We recorded it on my box, and my first instinct was to tweak it a bit with a few plugins and such. But Firebird insisted that we run it straight from the jstation...no cheating. Yeah, with the perfect mic setup, and a real amp you might get it a bit better, but a while back I Miced firebirds 64 bassman, and then recorded my pod pro and his jstation doing bassman sims, and most people I played it for couldnt tell which was which...including a few musicians.(I wish I still had those recordings, I would post them...maybe we will do another one). I'm not saying that you couldnt tell the difereance, I'm sure you could...I could too...but most of the listening public couldnt give a shit.

I would much rather record a sim than spend the time trying to mic up an amp...especially when nobody who hears it really cares about the very insignificant diferance.

My band plays through a J-station, and a Bass Pod. And we soon are going to electronic drums. So much easier to manage the sound levels...especially with the crappy accoustics at clubs around here nobody is going to be able to hear the differance.

Firebird, you will never get close to those bands tones with a JStation. But, this is going nowhere is a hurry.

Let me hear your emulator tone with real drums and bass.

Ed

64Firebird said:
This is my SRV patch. whatta you guys think?

Where's that midrange howl with the bell-tone on top? Interesting that you'd use british amp/cabinet algorithms to emulate a Vibroverb.

You do play that riff pretty good though.:cool:

sonusman said:
Firebird, you will never get close to those bands tones with a JStation. But, this is going nowhere is a hurry.

Let me hear your emulator tone with real drums and bass.

Ed

I don't have any need to get close to those tones. You gave me a list of players and I chose one. I think I'm pretty close and my spectrum analyzer agrees with me. I don't play in a band, so I can't put it in a mix with real drums and bass.

M.Brane, I chose the amp mod that got me the closest to his sound. SRV used Marshals off and on throughout his carer. you can read all about it by clicking here.

Here's a pic of Stevie using a JCM 800.

srv_pori85b.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the links! Very interesting stuff.:)

I can attest to the Super Reverb settings. You don't ever want to run the bass control above 3 on those, especially if you play loud. You don't get more bass, it just gets looser, and 3 is plenty loose. My mid stays on 9 regardless of the application.:D I ran a SS rectifier in mine for a while and it makes a bigdifference in the low-end tightness.

I remember reading about SRV's Marshall Majors some years back that he never really played through 'em, just had 'em up there to confuse people.:eek: I guess only he knows for sure. I think Marshalls don't get enough credit for their glassy-clean tones.

Back