Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Guitar without Amp Sim

Thanks

Guitar without Amp Sim

Sign in to disable this ad
    Lads,

Iíve been in a struggle with my amp sims (guitar rig 5 and amplitube 4). I just canít find the tone I want. So, I was wondering if any of you already recorded an electric guitar straight in the audio interface (without amp sim and DI). Iíve already tried but the sound was a bit poor. Added some eq, compressions, reverb and echo, but there is still something missing. Any tips? Experiences?

Cheers!

Thanks
    Are you asking for people's Guitar DI tracks or Guitar Amp Sim help? Google is your friend if you're looking for DI tracks, heck look at URM or NTM as they usually send out free DI tracks for you to mess around with. It's hard to know what you feel is missing in your current Amp Sims however, maybe you just need to try some different IRs if you don't like the final "tone" of your Amp Sim. Turn off the Sims Cab section and download NadIR to run your own IRs. STL Tones just released Ignite Amps Emissary 2.0 with NadIR 2.0 including some free IRs for free recently... try that?

Thanks
    Well thought, mate. Indeed, I've only tried Guitar Rig 5 and Amplitube 4. Maybe other amp sims have what I want. I just assume that those two were the top ones and that wouldn't have better options.

However, I was actually thinking about not using DI, or amp/cabinet sim at all. My question was if someone already did it. Recording only the pure guitar sound, running it through the audio interface into the DAW, and nothing else. What do you think about that?

Thanks
    The pure guitar sound into your audio interface into your DAW with nothing else *is* the DI. DI is Direct Input... it's the sound that comes directly from your Guitar's pickups. If you want to mix a recording with Raw DI guitars as your sound... I don't think many people would find it appealing in a mix.

Thanks
    I donít think so neither. Sounds like crap. And I meant without using a proper DI Box for the guitar, like Radial Pro or something like that. Anyways, keep on working. Thanks mate.

Thanks
    If your interface has a 1/4" input with a INST switch, then you don't need a DI - it's built into the interface. About the only reason for a DI is to send a clean signal a long distance (with balanced cable connections), perhaps to record a dry guitar/bass for mixing, or possible re-amping later. But, just about every electric guitarist would want to record a track that sounds like the guitar being played through an amp, whether by using a sim, external box, like a POD/Helix/Bias FX/etc.

You should be able to get something decent with those sims - maybe not what you're looking for, but I played around with amplitube on my iPhone actually, and thought it was fairly usable, if limited. (Never bought all the extra amp packs/apps.)

P.S. When I was using my POD HD, there were tons of presets on the internet to download and play with. I would think there's the same thing for Amplitube and Guitar Rig?
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    I have successfully recorded direct without an amp sim and have gotten acceptable tracks without amp sims by using channel strip emulations or any plug in with analog saturation/overdrive modeling. The Waves TG12345, Omni channel and Kramer HLS can all be overdriven, most all the Soundtoys stuff has saturation and just the Decapitator by itself sounds great. The analog eq emulations by softtube , waves and arturia all have inputs that can be overdriven to get good tone ie: the 1073 and trident a range emus. Running through multiple plugins with saturation is where its at for the best results. I will always prefer to mic a good amp, but I have found when necessary it can be done ITB. Try Bluecats free amp sim, test waves PRS emulations too. Running through a gain pedal can change the tone as will using an active direct box . Note: the guitars basic tone has a huge affect on the what can be done in or out of the box. Different guitars often need different methods to sound there best.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    Figures that after posting on this thread, I'd see an example of something that goes against everything previously stated. Rick Beato just broke down The Doors' song "Touch Me" in which the guitar track was recorded DI straight into the desk. So... go ahead and feel free to use whatever you feel is best.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ujn Hunter View Post
    Figures that after posting on this thread, I'd see an example of something that goes against everything previously stated. Rick Beato just broke down The Doors' song "Touch Me" in which the guitar track was recorded DI straight into the desk. So... go ahead and feel free to use whatever you feel is best.
    The Beatles did it all the time which is why i suggested the TG12345 and other emu's
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    Mates, thank you all for the replies.
    Yes, Guitar Rig and Amplitube are great simulators. However, I guess my struggle was about the project itself.
    I mean, when I was recording voice, double track guitars, bass and midi drums, the sims worked perfectly. However, now Iím engaged in a voice & guitar only project - Billy Bragg/Jeff Buckley style, do you know what I mean?
    Thatís when I felt the sims were not doing a good job anymore. It just doesnít work.
    As for DI, I guess I just donít have the knowledge and skills to make it sound good enough just yet. Need to improve it and understand how it works with my guitar, my pickups and my style of playing.
    Anyway, thanks a million, one more time. Once I achieve a nice result, I share with you lads.
    Cheers!

Thread Information