guitar wiring

brendandwyer

So i'm working on this kids gibson knock off piece of shit guitar. It has shit wiring, so i'm re-wiring the whole thing for him.

Here's my problem: the guitar has 2 humbuckers, bridge & neck. 4 pots, no selector switch.

So i'm not sure how to wire it. Can i wire 1 humbucker to 1 vol/tone to jack and the other humbucker vol/tone to the same jack? he'd control both pickup/tones seperately, no blend, no switch? 2 pickups to 1 jack?

yay nay?

Sure, just make sure you wire the volume controls backwards like on a Jazz Bass (the pickups hot wire goes to the center terminal instead of the outside terminal, and the jack goes to the outside instead of the center), otherwise both volume controls will control the whole guitar.

Jazz Bass Wiring, so you can see what I'm talking about.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Sure, just make sure you wire the volume controls backwards like on a Jazz Bass (the pickups hot wire goes to the center terminal instead of the outside terminal, and the jack goes to the outside instead of the center), otherwise both volume controls will control the whole guitar.

Jazz Bass Wiring, so you can see what I'm talking about.

Light

M.K. Gandhi
ok that looks great. but where does the second tone knob factor in?

hey.. that j bass wiring schematic is NICE..

i tried to find the p-j bass one but i couldn't seem to find it.. any idea where that one might be hiding?

i am denied access to all the sub-directories and when i search for it on the support page i can't seem to find it.

thanks for postin the J one tho.

ok that looks great. but where does the second tone knob factor in?

Tone controls can go just about anywhere. If you want separate tone controls, I'd put them on the center lugs of your volume controls. Just put a cap in series with a pot to ground. It doesn't even really matter what order you put them in, it will work either way. Basically, your tone controls should look like THESE, but on the center lugs instead of the outside lugs.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Tone controls can go just about anywhere. If you want separate tone controls, I'd put them on the center lugs of your volume controls. Just put a cap in series with a pot to ground. It doesn't even really matter what order you put them in, it will work either way. Basically, your tone controls should look like THESE, but on the center lugs instead of the outside lugs.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

perfect! thanks i'm going to finish the guitar today so hopefully all goes well.

Back