Guitar "Strings" what gauge??

David

I was just wondering what gauges of strings you guitar slingers out there were using, and what brand... I use ernie ball 10's and 11's,, have used the Elixir, but their kind'a $$$$ but do like them.

I've been using Dean Markley .010-.052's lately... but I have to say that my string gauge's have been getting heavier and heavier.

I've been using Dean Markley's for ever since I can remember...ususally .10's; I think elixir's most recently. I have no idea why I use these as opposed to others.

Damn it's hard to type when your drunk. Speaking of elixirs, I used Macallan 12 year single malt (stolen from Bern's Steak House here in Tampa) to induce inebriation.

dmc

Currently Marilyn (Epiphone EJ-200) is wearing a Martin Phosphor Bronze M-540 set with: 12/16/25/32/42/54
And she has no problem staying in tune even
tuned to D, although I prefer standard tuning unless I'm after that "D bass" string sound. (DADGBE)

D'addario 11's, tuned to E flat. I tried ernie balls before but they always broke on me for some reason.

ametth

What kind of ax do you play Ametth...Strat? I used to break strings all day long did'nt matter what brand, a few years ago I got some string saver saddles, and let me tell ya, they will rot off before they break, I'll never play with out them, not live anyway, hope that helps..

Great to know there's alt of guitar players out there!
I use Dean Markley 'Blue Steel' strings which kick ass. (If you are out there Dean Markley I would appreciate a sponsor ship as I have converted about everyone I know to Blue Steel strings!!!). These strings stay in tune like a mother, and me and Mr. Floyd give them hell.....I used to play GHS and D'Addario, but I would break the A string all the time! I have never broke a Blue Steel string ever. Not a high E or any other.. and I have tried. To me Blue Steel strings are the best thing since sliced bread......

Viking_______________________________________

Regular Dean Markley 10' - 46 on the electrics, D'Addario 11's (Medium) on the acoustic and Martin 12's (the cheapest ones, the expensive ones sound too ... expensive) on the resonator.

foo

Viking:

Blue Steel is what I have used for years as well, and I have never broken one of these strings either. I play hard and jerk around the whammy like a sum' bitch and notta one broken.

dmc

[This message has been edited by dmcsilva (edited 01-10-2000).]

I use Blue Steel as well.... I used to use the Custom Light which is basically they're middle one and now I use the heavy... which it says on the back of the box is the heaviest though it only goes up to .46 I think... they're NICE strings though :)

I've always wanted to do some sort of study to determine why certain brands of strings break for some people and not for others on similar rigs.

I've always used Ernie Ball strings. Right now I use the Power Slinkies (.11 to .52) and they rarely break.

Now, every time I've tried D'addario strings, the damn high E has broken within maybe a few hours. Every time. I hate them...but others swear that they well outlast slinkies.

Hmmm...

Slackmaster 2000

David:
Just as in choice of guitars, the is no set rule for strings. Use what you like. The strings that will work best for you depends on your playing style, equipment, and tone.
Some strings have more volume, some have brighter tone, some are better for solos and string bending, while others are best for chords. My advice is to try out several brands, gages, and matterials. Try to find
strings that, first of all, stay in tune and have a good sound quality. Even though your
guitar is electric, the strings need to have a good sound un-amplified. Personaly, I like D'addario nickel wound for electric and D'addario phosphor/bronze for acoustic. Also, exspensive doesn't always me better.

I agree on the string savers. Carvin sells em cheaper than AMS, IMS, or Musicians Friend.

I went from breaking a couple a week to breaking about 1 every 2 months. No kidding.
I've definitly made back my $30.

As for strings, just remember that Higher Action and bigger strings equals better tone.
I use GHS Boomer 11's but lately my arm has been cramping up so I'm gonna try some 10's.

Anyone ever played a gig and by the end your fretting arm was completely flexed and you could not fret a chord? It happened. Anyone know why?

I use Ernie Ball's regular slinkys. I have always just loved to sound out of them. I do use Elixers on my acoustic though. Those are some beautiful strings, but cost a bundle.

Blue steels all the way for the electric! I recently broke the high E though, but maybe that's cause I use 11's and sometimes tune the high E to F! (I will not reveal the entire tuning as it is magical and I don't think the rest of the world can handle it's mythical power.)

For acoustic I like Martin SP's

Blue Steel strings are the shit.
I have played them since they came out and never have changed, but I am interested in the Elixirs though. I bought my first set and will let you all know how it goes.

Viking_______________________________________

Back