Guitar "Strings" what gauge??

Blue Steel rocks! I installed a set of "normal" Dean Markley recently that were on sale (a 2-pack) and I would break the A or the low E every gig. Then I went back to Blue Steel, after 2 months, they still shine and never broke.

Also, I was wondering if anyone here knows who make Godin strings? My Godin LGX came with Godin string and they sound good, stay in tune and keep their crisp sound for a long time. Godin say they get them from a leading USA company, I'm certain it's Dean Markley, anyone knows?

I use DR's too!
"Pure Blues" .10 gauge
They are pure nickel strings so they are a bit more expensive, but well worth it. I totally agree the tone is awesome and they last forever.

DR's yes! I've tried a lot of strings over the years and DRs not only last longer but unquestionably have more tone. It's the way they wind the strings--they get more winds per inch than other strings which increases the mass without unduly stiffening the strings--so a set of 10's will actually sound more like 11's yet have the feel and responsiveness of 10's.

For acoustic, anyone try John Pearse strings? I've found these to be overall the best. But it's a very personal thing I think, and it depends on the guitar as well along with the sound you are looking for.

John Pearse phosphor bronze-love 'em.
They keep that "new string" sound a lot longer than anything else I've tried. The only problem is that when they go bad they go bad FAST.

penny, i know what you are going through with your arm cramping up after playing . both my arms do it after playing for only a short period of time.from what i hear it could be carpaltunnel synd. if i spelled it right. there is a new laser treatment that is supposedly great!lately ive tried playing with a lighter grip. helped out alotjust like golf youll find you have better control,speed and action if you use a lighter grip. but you should look further into it as it could be something worse.

Maybe your slinging your guitar Page-style ie too low. Actually, when I first started playing I had good frethand form. I was, of course, playing while sitting down. After a couple of years of playing in bands standing up all the time, I just naturally started playing 5 chords with index & pinky. Its just like grabbing the neck and pounding on it. People tell me i have a weird technique. I think that stems from the fact that I am left handed but play righty and i don't do any kind of dexterity exercises anymore becasue they bore the shit out of me. Oh yeah, i use fender bullet 10's, ernie balls suck, they take forever to break in, and by the time they do they're rusting off. -lzb

All this talk of how blue steels are the shit is killing me! $12.00 a set DAMN! I burn through a set a week while not gigging!
I bought a Strat plus deluxe in 97 with the Fender floyd hybrid on it and in 3 years I have never broken a string! I shit you not!
I use D'addario 10's , high action, and I pound the hell out of it. By the way, Ive been using this thing called the chopstick, the only isotonic hand exersizer
around and it works choice! My speed and endurance have improved so much its unreal.
I used to get that cramping and stuff you guys are talking about but since using the sticks, nothing! The name of the company is stronstick solutions, no g.

Back