guitar stickers problem

LTG

I have an old guitar that I'm trying to take some stickers off of. The stickers are coming off, but there is left over adhesive stuck on the guitar. How can I get the adhesive off without messing up the paint?

Try nail polish remover (on a soft rag) on a very small spot. Rubbing alcohol will work with some glue.

well it would wear off on its own eventually, but try taking a clean damp cloth and rubbing a veeeeeeeeeeeery small part of the area very lightly in a circular motion...act as if you're using your finger to scratch it off but have the cloth wrapped around your finger if u know what i mean...
i know that to get bow rosin off of upright basses (the dust chrystalizes to the body) they do this procedure but use a little bit of 5 in 1 oil or something because it's nicer to the bass' finish...but that's not paint that's stain...i dunno what that would do to paint...

Denatured alcohol should do the job without ruining your guitar's finish. Make sure clean the area immediately afterwards, though, with some soapy water and then dry--just to be sure you don't damage your finish. Better safe then sorry. Don't use any type of paint thinner!

Peace, Jim

Denatured alcohol is probably the most effective- and I'm pretty sure it would be a little safer than nail polish remover which might bleach the pait a little (could be wrong though)

Try this stuff called "Goo Gone"..I believe it's completely natural (primarily lemon oil based) and works great! Should be either at your grocery or hardware store- Nate

Ya that's it. Nate has the answer. I couldn't remember the name. I use WD-40 sometimes also.

DO NOT DO NOT use nail polish remover!!! It will disolve the clear finish--- older guitars for the most part, do not have acylic
finishes like their modern counterparts. I recomend a solution of warm water and a mild detergent like woolight or ordinary dish detergent. Use a very soft cloth to avoid scratches. If you're having trouble getting the glue off, put a small amount of the detergent dirrectly on the area and rub it in and let it sit for about 10 minutes. You will have to use good old fashioned elbow grease to completely clean your guitar. ALSO I wouldn't use any chemicals at all on any guitar EVER not even for polishing. Over time cleaners can start to discolor the guitar and oil or wax based polish can build up and star to dull the guitar instead of making it shine. The only time I would use any type of oil is for rosewood or ebony fret boards----and then only a small amout of
linseed oil. Also take it easy on "finger ease" or any other type of string lubricant or cleaners. Trust me this is good advice, I've seen many vintage and older guitars ruined in the name of upkeep and cleaning.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nate:
Try this stuff called "Goo Gone"..I believe it's completely natural (primarily lemon oil based) and works great! Should be either at your grocery or hardware store- Nate<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are correct! ... Goo Gone and other popular cleaners like it, such as Citrus Power are definitely the SAFEST effective solvent for glues. These solvents are based on lemon or orange oil and work quite well. I like Citrus Power best, though.

Back