Guitar solo performance

james123

Teenager from mars
Hi,
For my GCSE music course I have to perform a whole song on a chosen instruments, mine is guitar.I am not sure wich song to do .It has to be a pretty techinical song and would probably have to have a solo in it so I can show off a bit.Does anybody have any suggestions of what song I should do?

Smells like teen spirit, I hear there's a really hard solo in there...

Sorry I can't give a serious response, anything on the guitar is dificult for me :o

Woah quick response but yeah I am looking for something a bit more technical than Smells like teen spirit but thanks for the suggestion anyway. :)

Smells like teen spirit, but whit your eyes closed and your left leg behind your neck to spice things up a little.

Anyhow, if you're into rock pick something by satriani or some dream theatre.. you know, the usual 'advanced stuff' and if that's not posh enough try something buy Metheny or (favorite of mine) Martin Taylor. Martin Taylor has some nice pieces where he plays without any comping so they will probably sound better when you play alone.

Last edited:
ha ha ha

smells liekm teen spirits the easyiest song ever . the solos about as hard as changing beetween chords. i am going to play sweet child of mine for my coursework

james123 said:
Hi,
For my GCSE music course I have to perform a whole song on a chosen instruments, mine is guitar.I am not sure wich song to do .It has to be a pretty techinical song and would probably have to have a solo in it so I can show off a bit.Does anybody have any suggestions of what song I should do?

Something Satriani or Vai

punkin said:
Something Satriani or Vai

I have found a song by Satriana which I think is pretty cool called A train of Angels so I might do that that song.

Last edited:
Maybe one of those Nice sounding Accoustic Instrumental Metalica songs Like "Nothing Else Matters" or an Instrumental off of the "Masters of Puppets" album.....

Or maybe the "Gilligans Island" Theme song....LOL

:D

Track down the song called "The Divided Sky" off of the album Junta by Phish. See if that fits your criteria.

Now is this just you, or will you be with an ensemble? The song is a little hard to follow without the backing instruments, but its a lot of fun to play on guitar.

Tadpui said:
Track down the song called "The Divided Sky" off of the album Junta by Phish. See if that fits your criteria.

Now is this just you, or will you be with an ensemble? The song is a little hard to follow without the backing instruments, but its a lot of fun to play on guitar.

It is just me playing the guitar no ensemble no backing track just me playing the guitar which makes it quite hard.Although another part of my coursework is to perform an ensemble but thats already sorted because I am doing it with my band and we are doing one of our own songs.Thanks for the suggestions.

how about "star spangled banner", like hendrix did, but put a modern twist it somehow.

I always liked hearing Canada's national anthem during hockey season, it has such a cool melody to the vocals and really has a build up at the end of the song ("ohhhh canada we stand on gaurd for the !!!!!!")that you could do on guitar, so maybe do that instead for somthing different.

post a copy here when your done of whatever you do.

The Prelude from JS Bach's "Prelude, Fugue and Allegro" (BWV 998) sounds great on electric with a heavy distorted tone.

Tim

Open Tunings

Not sure of your ability but you could tune your guitar differently (tell the examiners) and try some nick drake or Goo Goo Dolls (Iris) or John Martyn. You could also try 'Hallelujah', the Jeff Buckley version. Very impressive sounding and has an instrumental break.

Timothy Lawler said:
The Prelude from JS Bach's "Prelude, Fugue and Allegro" (BWV 998) sounds great on electric with a heavy distorted tone.

Tim

What about the Brandenberg Concerto number 3 in G major?

TelePaul said:
What about the Brandenberg Concerto number 3 in G major?
Well, the one I mentioned is for a solo instrument. A duo or trio might do a Brandenburg Concerto, and they've been done that way by classical guitarists before... not sure a reduction for soloist would work too well.

Tim

No body has mentioned it yet, but how about Classical Gas? Eric Claptons version doesn't have backing instuments, and It is a tiny bit more exiting than the original. I you wanna know, the original was done by Mason Williams.

Back