Guitar Rigs (not the software)

Kingofpain678

Returned from the dead
What do you all keep in your guitar rig racks if you use one? I'm planning on building a rack and I'm gonna be fairly disappointed if I end up making it 1U to small for a typical gear setup.
So to get an idea of how big I should make it, I'd like to hear what all you drag along side your marshall's and mesa boobies :confused::D

What do you all keep in your guitar rig racks if you use one? I'm planning on building a rack and I'm gonna be fairly disappointed if I end up making it 1U to small for a typical gear setup.
So to get an idea of how big I should make it, I'd like to hear what all you drag along side your marshall's and mesa boobies :confused::D

Yes, I agree.

KoP, I have a rack amp system but the only stuff in the racks are the amp/preamp and power supply.

In a 2RU rack I have a Randall RT2/50 power amp. In a 4RU rack I have an Egnater M4 4-module preamp along with a Furman PL-8C power supply. I stack the two racks on my 2 X 12 cab.

Everything else is on my pedalboard, even the two Eventide FX boxes which are in the serial FX loop.

So that probably didn't answer your question. :D

I also have no answer since I don't have anything in any racks.
Most of my PA stuff just sits in the truck and never comes out except for gigs ..... my guitar amps ride on the passenger seat.

I also like biking and slow walks on the beach.

:)

LOL @ Lt. Bob. ^^^^^^^^

KoP, let me ask you something.

Why would you be building a rack if you don't know what you want to put in it?

LOL @ Lt. Bob. ^^^^^^^^

KoP, let me ask you something.

Why would you be building a rack if you don't know what you want to put in it?

Well I have an idea of what I want in it.
Power supply
tuner
Maybe an FX processor
Just wanted a few more ideas

eh whatever.

"Maybe" an FX processor? That's typically the driver for having a rack setup in the first place.

I mean, you have three choices for FX: pedalboard, rackmount, or a combination of the two. If you do go with a rack, you'll typically be using a single multi-fx processor and since you have to put it in a rack, you may want to have a tuner in there and since you've now got more than one thing in the rack you'll need a power supply, and since that power supply has all those extra outlets you may as well throw a graphic EQ in there.......:D

I'm more of a stompbox guy myself but thats just personal preference.

But my question was to indicate that you may be putting the cart before the horse. If all you need is a tuner and a couple of FX that you really like, you can get by with a small pedalboard for lots less money than what you'll spend building up a rack system.

I'm with Zap - if you want a rack for a power supply and a tuner, you're better off with a pocket-sized tuner and no rack.

I run pretty dry, so I'm rackless too - head and cab, plus a Line6 DL4 that I leave sitting on top of the head in my room and move to the floor when playing elsewhere, and that's it.

I don't think I'm getting my idea across the way I wanted to.

I'll follow your advice.
well try harder then!
:D
Look ...... the ONLY reason to have a rack is if you have a bunch of rack mount stuff you'll be using. At this point it looks like you're going the other way ...... get a rack and then decide what goes in it.

You really need to look at what gear you desire and then decide if a rack is appropriate.
If you're gonna go with a rack mount multi-fx and maybe a power amp and a wireless etc. then a rack would be the way to go.
First thing I notice is that, based on responses, most of the replyers so far don't use racks.
I've never used one for guitar ..... only PA stuff.
I HAVE had a rackmount git fx unit at one time but since it was just the one, I didn't rack mount it ...... I just set it on the amp.
I'm in the process of building something for fx for my Mark V ...... I still won't go with a rack ..... I prefer stompboxes .... so I'll build a pedal board type thing sized to sit on top of my amp.
Racks are often just a way to make several small easily moved pieces into one large heavy POS.

Back