Guitar recording & feedback setup

aposynthesi

I'm looking for a price efficient guitar feedback and recording setup - through the computer of course.

I would like to listen to my guitar through headphones by using either a sound card, or something that plus into the computer, then adding realtime distortion/effects.

Is it possible to net good sound quality out of something like this?

Thanks

You won't be able to find anything that gives guitar feedback without actual speakers pushing noise against your pickups, that's how feedback starts.

Do you have an amp you can mic up? That would be the *way* to do it. ou find ifnd compromises by getting something like Line 6's guitar port or something similar, but nothing will sound like a mic on an amp pushing 11.

No, that's the problem... I don't want to get an amp whenever I get my guitar. The only time that I'll have to play is when people are asleep.

GABritton said:
You won't be able to find anything that gives guitar feedback without actual speakers pushing noise against your pickups, that's how feedback starts.

Do you have an amp you can mic up? That would be the *way* to do it. ou find ifnd compromises by getting something like Line 6's guitar port or something similar, but nothing will sound like a mic on an amp pushing 11.

I think his term for "feedack" is what most call "playback".

Am I correct? Or are you trying to get actual feedback (Jimi and Nirvana type noise) while recording digitally?

If being able to hear myself play realtime through headphones is playback, then yes.

I want to eliminate the usage of an amp.

Am I frustrating anybody yet? I know I don't know what I'm talking about.

behringer v-amp 2. great price, comes with a pedal, only problem is that there is a little delay inbetween changing patches.

There are two basic choices. The first, and easiest, is to get something like a POD or V-Amp. They provide a wide variety of good sounding effects. You can feed the output to your PC sound card and use headphones to listen.

The other option is to use PC software to create the effects. There are a variety of choices here. One example is here:

http://www.guitarfx.net/

With this approach, your guitar connects directly to the PC and all effects are produced there. Again headphones are used to listen.

One advantage to the first POD/V-Amp approach is that no PC is needed. These external guitar effects units have a headphone output on them. All you need is your guitar and the unit. They can also be used to go into a guitar amp if you ever want to play out of the house with someone else.

Ed

you can also try

If you have a amp simulator (like a V-Amp or a Pod) and want to get feedback without the amp you can try an e-bow. I've tried this a couple of times. Granted it's not the same as a cranked amp with the pick ups inches away, but it's not too shabby.

aposynthesi said:
A lot of people have recommended the POD to me... will I be able to record through the computer?
yes, with the POD, you wouldn't need an amp.

Back