Guitar to haul around - everywhere

Boots

I want to get an acoustic guitar to haul with me everywhere I go. Especially to work so I can play during lunch time. It will probably get a little "banged up" through time, so I don't want to spend over $200.00 ($US).

I was thinking about getting the Martin Backpacker. Does anybody have a backpacker . . . if so, do you like its sound?

Any other suggestions for an acoustic guitar I could purchase?

Thanks.

If I had spare change I'd get one just to tote around while travelling, camping, etc. They're not bad little guitars, but they definitely have their own sound. Kinda jangly and tinny. But when you're drinking beer around a campfire and singing old Beatles tunes, or practicing your scales in a hotel room halfway across the country, who cares!

Just another thought--for the type of guitar you're looking for I'd be looking mainly at features such as size, durability and of course playability (if it has lousy action, who wants it...). It should have good intonation and be fairly solid so it can hold up to some travel. There are some cheap small guitars that you can get for under $100 that I wouldn't touch--they're terrible to play and intonation goes out after around the 3rd fret. The Martin is probably not a bad choice in this regard.

My jaded opinion is that these backpackers have little in common with a real guitar save that they have six strings, frets, and a neck. They sound wretched. To be extremely harsh, I think they were probably created with the dumbshit, stoner, hippie in mind (I don't mean to generalize here).

On the other hand they are small and take up less space than a normal guitar. If that's an issue, then a backpacker might be right for you, but I would be more inclined to look for a used epi,fender, oscar schmidt, or something playable that could be had for under $200. I'm more motivated to play when the instrument sounds like a guitar.

I went to an auction last year and sat back laughing my ass off as bidding on a backpacker well exceeded $200, when MF sells 'em new for $170.
Best advice is to go play one, but keep an eye toward the used market.-lzb

I must also caution against the backpacker style of guitars... I got one a few years ago for a trip to Australia, but it ended up that the thing would never stay in tune once I left the store, and the sound was way too quiet to be useful. In the end I found myself wishing that i had sucked it up and carried a normal size acoustic around.

stranger233

I have absolutely HATED every backpacker style guitar I've ever tried. I guess if size is a primary consideration then you might be able to get used to it. I have an Ovation Celebrity that I haul around with me. It doesn't sound great, but it plays well and the tone is acceptable. It's proven to be pretty tough over the years and doesn't seem to mind the changes in temperature and humidity like my others, probably because there's not much wood in it.

I have a backpacker that isn't very loud nor is it particularly nice sounding. However it is built well and has good intonation so is great for practice. I also have the pickup version and have even used it for playing slide live.

It now resides under my desk at work, where I can whip it out and play it as the moment arrises.

Good choice, but I suspect there are better options. I think I saw a small Yamaha that looked pretty good. I also bought a miniture strat for my son. This thing is great and plays exceedingly well, although you have to tune it to G to get a good sound out of it (it's electric though).

Have you considered a mandolin? different beast to be sure, but it will give your playing an added dimention.

Spong

Does it have to be acoustic?
I have an old Washburn headless guitar (Steinberg rip off) that I used to run through a PigNose while on trips. Ahhh those were the days...
:)

For around $200 you aren't going to get a really nice sounding guitar unless you buy used. Look for used guitars in the shops so you can play on a range and pick the nicest one.

I think for just a few more dollars you can get a Baby Taylor. They are sweet. Personally, for a little over $300, I'd go for the Larrivee Parlor, but it's too nice to just bang around with.

Baby Taylor, Martin Backpacker, Tacoma whatevertheycallit. All three instruments are built with solid woods, have excellent intonation, fine quality, and suffer from small soundbox volume. The Larrivee parlor is one step up, with a slightly larger body. Advantages to each are portability and "cool" factor. Disadvantages are that a small instrument will not have a big sound.

The Martin tuning problem mentioned in the thread is due more likely to old strings, playing or care habits, than with a defect in the guitar. Tuning problems are generally cured with setup adjustments, or else are the result of design flaws in the fret placement. These manufacturers have figured out the latter; you will not find a Taylor with a monster intonation problem, period.

Neither are you likely to find one of these, or anything else worth buying, for a hundred bucks, but you just might for two hundred. Get thee to a guitarist shop, play a few things, and buy one.

Get a baby taylor, there like 250 and sound way better than the backpacker.thats not to far over ur budget.

[This message has been edited by reco (edited 05-13-2000).]

I thought the Martin Backpacker had a very characteristc sound when I tried it. It was interesting at the time. Although, I've never owned one so maybe I just haven't had time to realize how shitty they are. But as of now I think they are alright.

Either of the Baby Taylor models are very nice for a small scale guitar. It doesn't have a huge sound, but it sure has a nice sound. I recorded one a while back and it sounds close to a regular size Taylor acoustic. The action and playability was also great on the one I used. I would hate to get it all banged up though.

Applause makes a very nice little travel guitar. It looks and sounds MUCH better than the silly looking, crappy playing Martin.
There's also a small company that makes travel guitars for around $200.00. They look pretty decent.
You can check them out at www.go-guitars.com

Neat site!

A similar design was written up in a (somewhat) recent issue of American Lutherie, the quarterly publication of the Guild of American Luthiers. Issue # 57, spring, 1999. www.luth.org

Any small traveling design that maximizes soundbox volume will generate a "bigger" sound. So, the Martin design, having a smaller soundbox volume, will suffer in comparison with something bigger. Still a neat axe! Just don't expect it to compete with a D-18.

[This message has been edited by Treeline (edited 05-28-2000).]

Spend as much as you can afford and assume it's the last guitar you'll ever play. Keep the "backpacker" in the toy chest. Take your best axe everywhere you go. You can't go wrong.

Back