guitar FX--without any processors

slidey

OK threadsters

I'm on the run down to 30 & the more I look around it seems like people are getting, "do everything at once" boxes before they get an instrument to learn on

I'm just wondering what sort of things you guys & gals do to achieve some organic FX (as it where)

I recently ran my Variaxe 700 guitar through a Vox AC30 & recorded it with a fan in front of the speaker with an EV PL80 behind the fan & it was..............interesting, I also had a midi pickup going to a VG8 where I had a virtual AC30 steup & the 2 together proved to be incredible

I also intend to try putting my cab on top of a baby grand piano with the loud pedal down & mic'd from underneath & sea what happens

awrabest
Slidey

This is kind of a weird one I tried, I placed a small Randall amp inside an extra 22" bass drum (front head removed) with the amp facing the back. Recorded with the mic on the outside of the drum, gave it a nice roomy sound and sort of a natural reverb.

Dani Pace said:
This is kind of a weird one I tried, I placed a small Randall amp inside an extra 22" bass drum (front head removed) with the amp facing the back. Recorded with the mic on the outside of the drum, gave it a nice roomy sound and sort of a natural reverb.

interesting..........must try it.

ever double mic on open back cab & phase one of them :cool:

YEAH what about this then.................

take various acoustic instruments like guitars, mandolins, banjos etc & tune them to an open chord & record one of your amp speakers in the room

maybe even plug the DI-able instruments in & strategically mic the others, I have a friend with a sitar, I'm gonna have to try it out as a ringing instrument

Back in college, when I was using an analog tape 4-track, I was a big fan of backwards delay.

Record the guitar, flip the tape over, playback the guitar track, which is now backwards, add delay, and record the delay to a new track. Then when you flip the tape back to side A, the guitar is normal, but the delay echoes before the note is played. It's a cool effect, and works well with reverb too.

I've also put a singer in the bathroom, facing the tile wall of the shower. Then I mic'd the wall.

I had a lot more creative techniques back then, when all I had was a 4-track, a compressor, and an SM-57. These days I just record things the "normal way."

dirtythermos said:
Back in college, when I was using an analog tape 4-track, I was a big fan of backwards delay.

Record the guitar, flip the tape over, playback the guitar track, which is now backwards, add delay, and record the delay to a new track. Then when you flip the tape back to side A, the guitar is normal, but the delay echoes before the note is played. It's a cool effect, and works well with reverb too.

I've also put a singer in the bathroom, facing the tile wall of the shower. Then I mic'd the wall.

I had a lot more creative techniques back then, when all I had was a 4-track, a compressor, and an SM-57. These days I just record things the "normal way."

I once recorded an acoustic guitar player/singer in a handball court. I sat him in a 3D corner with 3 10 foot square rugs on the floor and the two walls, and I put a mic close enough to him to get his guitar and vocal together, and then I put another mic out in the center of the court for reverb. It sounded great.

A friend of mine had a really old Epi Les Paul. We discovered that with the gold pickup covers on it went ridiculously microphonic and we could hear each other talking through it.. So we rigged it up as a vocal mike. The result was...interesting. The strings would ring out slightly on more accented stuff, or when the singer would breathe out hard. We remember listening to it afterwards thinking how we should have put the guitar into some kind of open tuning to make it sound a little more tuneful.

Pointless really, but kind of fun for an hour or so......

Back