Guitar in different sound rooms

ApeDosMeow

After playing a few shows and viewing other venues (even outside) I've encountered your guitar tone will change where ever you go.

Even to playing in your room. well i'm recording in my room. what is the best advice I can get to recording in a non-sound proofed room at a home? Some input!

Ever buy an amp from guitar center because it sounded so damn good there but then noticed it had a slight change of sound at your house?

Those places are built like Grade A studios!

Lets share the knowledge and give me some advice! Woo.

After playing a few shows and viewing other venues (even outside) I've encountered your guitar tone will change where ever you go.

Even to playing in your room. well i'm recording in my room. what is the best advice I can get to recording in a non-sound proofed room at a home? Some input!

Ever buy an amp from guitar center because it sounded so damn good there but then noticed it had a slight change of sound at your house?

Those places are built like Grade A studios!

Lets share the knowledge and give me some advice! Woo.

if you're too lazy to read this entire thing... give up.

http://www.badmuckingfastard.com/sound/slipperman.html#contents

Last edited:
That page is one of the greatest things I've ever seen on the internet. I've been re-reading and digesting that for years, and if I ever meet this Slipperman character I'm buying him many beers.

I quit drinking years ago, so I'll just give him a big kiss. (Apologies to my wife :eek:) Seriously--that Slipperman piece is killer. Yeah, it's a lot, but it's all worth reading...

I quit drinking years ago, so I'll just give him a big kiss. (Apologies to my wife :eek:) Seriously--that Slipperman piece is killer. Yeah, it's a lot, but it's all worth reading...

:D

I don't even agree with all of it - I'm personally of the school that it matters f*ck-all how the amp sounds in the room, since the mic isn't listening to the room, it's listening to the sound from right in front of the speaker, 1-2" out - but it's probably the single most informative peice on what to do to get a good distorted tone on disc I've ever heard.

I want to go out and buy a good outboard EQ every time I read that, lol.

Back