Guitar D.I. Stereo or mono?

skiz

So i recorded guit this weekend thru a pod xt live. I took it frm the mono out straight to one of the channels on my firepod. The tone was cool and it worked. Now my friend is tellin me i should really record in stereo thru the usb out as he reckons it sounds a lot better and fuller. I want to know if this really makes a difference. Im panning the guit far left. My arguement is, when you mic an amp it comes thru in mono so why record frm the pod in stereo? Esp if im panning the track? It just doesnt make sense to me cause guitars are recorded in mono when mic'd. He says the pod's effects come thru in stereo and you wont get the best sound of the modeled amp in mono. What to you guys say?

I don't know your pod and have never recorded anything USB. But if your pod works stereo-wise like my Digitech pedal, then stereo might sound better (matter of taste) with some effects, especially such as those using phasing. Of course it won't sound natural as in like a single amp being miked if that is what you are after.

Depends on whether you're modelling a stereo sound or a mono sound. If you are doing something that simulates multiple mics then yeah it would make sense I guess. I would personally record it as 2 mono tracks at the same time rather than a stereo track though, as it gives you a bit more versatility in the mixing. I'm basing what I say on the assumption that you are not talking about using any kind of effects like phasers or flangers or whatever.

If you are going to hard pan or near hard pan each take, then it doesn't seem worth it to record in stereo. Just wastes hard drive space and resources.

But then, again personally, I would only really model mono sounds for recording anyway because I prefer recording separate takes for left and right, unless of course I was using or looking for some kind of specific effect. But that's just me.

Last edited:
If I'm not miking.....
...I'll come out of my tonelab se in mono and then track the same part again, in mono, and pan it opposite. Sometimes hardpan sometimes not. Just depends on what it needs come mixtime.

I don't know if the POD has stereo fx. Some of the fx on my processor can generate a stereo signal - like echos that have different echo rates between the right & left channels, or auto-panning. The other 99.9% of the time the signals coming out are identical, so it doesn't make sense to record both signals.

So, in short - it depends on if you're recording a stereo signal and not just 2 identical mono signals.

Back