Question

Sign in to disable this ad
    Has anyone played one?

Is it a good buy for $350?

Does it stay in tune?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wink

When I first saw one in the catalog I thought to myself, "Wow! A Gretsch for $299.00!!!???" Thinking it too good to be true I went down and checked one out in the show room. There was another model, too,acoustic I think, for only like four or five hundred. They both looked really good sitting there in their stands.Then I picked one up and turned it over. There at the base of the neck was a really small sticker "MADE IN KOREA".That kind of turned me off on the spot. They don't tell you that in the catalog or the ads.

I really don't know what the manufacturing standards are for Korean Gretsch's. Maybe it is a good guitar. I do know, however, that when I buy my first Gretsch it's going to be the real thing.

In any case I'd like to hear more feedback on them too.

[This message has been edited by hixmix (edited 03-09-2000).]

Thanks

Wink

Danny, If this guitar is what I think it is-
    then it's a good buy. If the guitar is an original hollow body from the '40s and early '50s, they usualy sell for $600 - $800. Does the guitar have the original tweed or cloth covered case? Is it a non-cutaway and wide? Also the the pickup on the guitar is most likely a DeArmond and in the neck position. GREAT PICKUPS!!! If it is a DeArmond, it will be chrome with a black plastic top, a row of poles and a row of adjustment screws placed in three sets of two. Does the guitar have only two controls- volume & tone with small clear or silver knobs? Also, if this a vintage Electromatic the maker's label-visable through the left sound hole should be following type: Orange retangle with blue or black print

The Fred GRETCSH Mfg.Co.
    60 Broadway Brooklyn, NY

MODEL #________________

SERIAL#________________

Instrument Makers Since

Look for these clues and you may have yourself a great guitar at a bargan price. I own one of these and it stays in tune fine. If you seem to have problems--get replacement tuners from Gretcsh and keep the originals in the case( never throw away original parts!) If it's a vintage Electromatic--I was not made in Korea

Thanks

Wink

Yeah, PannyDeters, do you mean an actual vintage Gretsch or the recently introduced Korean reproductions?

Thanks

Brand new.
    Musicians Friend.
    $350
    Set Neck.

Thanks
    I bought one of those Korean Electromatics a few months ago.

It will never replace my Strat as my #1 guitar, but it is pretty cool. For a $700 (Cdn) guitar, it's pretty good. The Bigsby is a lot of fun. Tuning is not great, but with a bit of discipline (correct restringing, not too crazy on the Bigsby) it's OK.
    Gets some great tones, from George Harrison to that Gretsch twang. No, its not the same as the real Gretsch's, but for the price, it's great guitar.

Thanks
    The Junior Jet II should be a decent guitar, for being a Junior Jet with a neck pickup and a 3-way selector switch. I wish retailers would carry the single pickup Junior Jet; I'd buy one in a heartbeat over the Junior Jet II, but that's just me.

Matt
    Fast cars and loud guitars!

Thread Information