Got a new Mexican Tele (not due to thread about Mexican Tele's lol)

liv_rong

Knows very little
It's a Standard Telecaster HH, MIM, ghost silver finish. Pretty standard except it has split coil capabilities and a rosewood fingerboard. So far I really I like it, obviously I need to spend a bunch more time with it. My initial thoughts are for cleans its a bit brighter and seems to sound a little more articulate than my LP, on the neck setting. With the coil split in that position it gets you a classic Tele sound but with much less noise than the split coils on my LP. So, on that end its a total win for me since I purchased this mainly for cleans. However overdriven tones seem to be lacking, kind of thin sounding is the best I can describe it now. Its by no means bad, but its not as thick/fat/articulate as my LP. Im sure I can fuck around with my amp settings a bit more but Ill be using the LP for those tones mostly anyways and can use this to add another texture on recordings if the mood strikes me. I havent checked but these pickups must not have as high as an output as the Classic 57 and Super 57 on my LP.

Im pretty happy with this guitar. The one I tried at GC had a bit of a thinner neck so when this one arrived I was happy to find it was a bit thicker, which I prefer. I also got a nice hsc for it and some strings that Ill throw on in a week or so.

14344758_10209903851014803_7849385603349038185_n.jpg

14291637_10209903851694820_1845870889304339697_n.jpg

14291791_10209903852414838_3201020044989543305_n.jpg

14352049_10209903853094855_4527154798660999336_o.jpg

That's lovely mate, you've got a great collection there now. I used to have the FMT HH tele which was similar to that but more like a tele shaped Les Paul. I still want a classic single coil tele though, especially as my music has got punkier in the last year and not so metalish.

That's a really nice looking guitar though. I've got my eye on a lake placid blue one at the moment.
When you get a minute post up some tones off that double tracked with the Les Paul, hard panned, just chugging on some power chords. Bet it will sound great.

That's lovely mate, you've got a great collection there now. I used to have the FMT HH tele which was similar to that but more like a tele shaped Les Paul. I still want a classic single coil tele though, especially as my music has got punkier in the last year and not so metalish.

That's a really nice looking guitar though. I've got my eye on a lake placid blue one at the moment.
When you get a minute post up some tones off that double tracked with the Les Paul, hard panned, just chugging on some power chords. Bet it will sound great.

Thanks! Its interesting it looks kind of purple in these pics but its silver, just depends on the light and angle. When I get some time Ill post something up in the tone thread comparing this to the LP and also some mixed like you suggested.

Very cool.

Can you get the classic tele sound with humbuckers? I imagine it's a little less brittle, a little more creamy. My chinese tele has single coils. It's the only guitar in which I touch the tone knob, but I like having that extended palette.

cool looking tele. I like the color for sure. I have a box full of parts that will be a tele, if I ever get off my ass and put it all together. I'm gonna put a humbucker in the neck position and a traditional tele single coil in the bridge position

Probably. I know I won't buy a guitar based on how it looks.

I suppose a more accurate thing to say is certain style of guitar appeal to us aesthetically and we pick out the specification within that style that suit us best. E.g.
I like telecasters but I also like guitars with a pair of splitable humbuckers.
We both like the sound of SGs but I wouldn't buy one.
Neither of us would buy a Warlock even it it sounded just like an SG but cost half the price!

I suppose a more accurate thing to say is certain style of guitar appeal to us aesthetically and we pick out the specification within that style that suit us best. E.g.
I like telecasters but I also like guitars with a pair of splitable humbuckers.
We both like the sound of SGs but I wouldn't buy one.
Neither of us would buy a Warlock even it it sounded just like an SG but cost half the price!

All very true.

I'm pretty shallow about the looks of a guitar. I admit it, I don't care. There are many guitars that I simply will not even consider solely based on how they look and they styles of music they are associated with.

Yeah looks are important for sure. And I do like the look of this one even if it's not a real tele. Just like my LP isn't really a real one.

Yeah looks are important for sure. And I do like the look of this one even if it's not a real tele. Just like my LP isn't really a real one.

From what I've heard of your music a traditional tele wouldn't suit you anyway!

Well, it's not a Standard and I guess since it's a trad pro it makes it seem cheaper than a Standard. I'd rather have mine than a standard though due to its features.

A Custom is not a Standard either, is it not a real Les Paul?

Lemme tell ya, a Traditional is every bit 100% a real Les Paul. In fact, it's more Les Paul than a modern Standard is.

Back