Gore Elixir Strings

hongteck

What are your thoughts about the Gore Elixir Strings ? I found it to be very nice, clear and not too bright. It's a bit smooth due to the PolyWeb coating and its matter of getting used to.

Only one problem. I bought my first set last Friday and on Saturday the G-string broke. So much for long lasting Elixir strings.

Hey hongteck...I've used the Elixir strings on my strat a couple of times I like them, but $$$ kinda of pricey for me, you say you broke a G string the next day? sounds like a bridge problem or you have a very heavey hand :) I have a set on my ovation right now and it aint ever sounded so sweet, and yea they are a little on the smooth side as for as feel but it dosen't take long to get used to them.

I got a set when they first came out. I thought they were the worst strings I'd ever played. :mad: I haven't tried the electric set yet. I just switched from Blue Steels back to DR's (before that it was Daddario and even before that Blue Steels- you get the picture :)). I can't bring myself to pay that price for the Elixers though.

-jhe

Yeah, I probably am beginning to think that its the worst string in the world as well because of the broken G string. :(

I bought a Martin SP Bronze Wound yesterday and cannot wait to try them out and replace the Elixir.

I agree with you guys.

A guy gave me a set of elixirs once. I think they were promo give-aways, he plays bass so he obviously didn't need them. Anyway he told me how great and expensive they were. I kind of liked the smooth feel except that I couldn't do pick scrapes and things like that. But the new set sounded as dead as a 2 month old set of fender bullets (my preferred strings) and got rapidly worse from there. So when I went to buy their replacements I saw how much they cost. If i were given another set for free, I'm not sure it'd be worth the hassle just to put them on.-lzb

Please! Avoid Martin SPs they are great for about a day, and then they die. We put them on guitars we sell the same day cause we know this. They are just not long lastning. I wish they were. They die soo quick.

Elixers: Nice, go on dead, stay dead. Same sound throughout the life, probably the best highend string. Taylor ships their guitars with them. I think they are cool, but too expensive.

D'Addario for me!

MIKE

tried the elixers, thought they were fine.... they actually sounded pretty damn good. whats the problem? is it just the money issue, or do you guys think everyone would be better off with some ernie ball

I've used D'Addarios for years (and years..) but have recently been seduced by DR phosphor bronze. But they're pricey! Never had the guitar speak quite like that, though.

Back