Is it a good electric guitar for beginer?

Is your 5 year old a metal head? :laughings:
In all honesty this is going to be a bit big and heavy for a small child. I'd try and find a 1/2 sized guitar:

Something like this

or if you really need to go down the pointy guitar route this

Also is there any reason it needs to be electric? It's much easier to go from learning on acoustic to playing an electric than vice versa...

I think the dean would be large, heavy, pointy and uncomfortable. Also you might go with a classical guitar as (for me) they have softer strings...

No. It's way too large for a 5-year-old to play. There are tons of starter packs out there with junior-sized guitars.

Plus that's way too much money to spend on what may end up collecting cobwebs in the corner.

We got my son an Epiphone Les Paul Pee Wee as part of a kit when he was 4. He spent a fair amount of time trying to play it - it went out of tune like crazy - I don't know if it was due to the tuning heads, the short scale, or both, but he got so frustrated with the sound that he stopped. After he grew a little, say age 8-9, he started playing my full sized electrics, but couldn't handle a full sized dreadnought acoustic because he couldn't get his right (picking) arm around the body of the guitar. I bought him a parlor sized acoustic for his 10th birthday that he could play. Now he's 15 and bigger and is a really good player with no constraints on which guitar he can play.

I have to say, his playing had a lot more to do with his own drive to learn and play than it did with any particular guitar. Try to get a read on that (in retrospect, it was obvious even at age 4 with him) before you spend too much $.

Back