Godin LGX

Cliff

I've never played the LGX so I probably will not be much help but I'll give my thoughts on it nonetheless. My introduction to Godin was an Acousticaster. I was looking to buy a Gibson Chet Atkins SST but I saw the acousticaster which looked similar and tried it out. The metal tines which vibrate inside the guitar gave it a very unique sound which is a closer approximation to a full size acoustic than the Gibson. I decided on the Chet Atkins though because nothing cuts through a live mix quite like it does and also I just wanted a Gibson. In retrospect though I think I would have been happy with the Godin and my bank account would have stayed a little more full. Now on to the LGX. I am a big fan of LR Baggs pickups and I don't think you could choose a better brand but I have doubts about that guitar's ability to produce a true acoustic sound. I think about it this way, if I put electric strings on my Chet Atkins, it wouldn't really sound like an acoustic anymore. With a piezo pickup, it certainly wouldn't sound like an electric. Putting acoustic strings on a strat would yield an equally unpleasant sound I would think. However I have been surprised before and maybe the thing is great. Speaking of which I was really surprised to hear a guitar player a few weeks ago step on an effects pedal and get a damn good acoustic sound out of an electric. I have tried a few of those acoustic simulators before and didn't like the results. Whatever he had sounded really good though. So something out there does work, you might want to check into that route if you already have an electric you really like.

Can anyone tell me about the Godin LGX? I am really interested in the acoustic pickup and the sound of that. They say it is an L.R. Baggs, so far so good...
I am in a country band and am looking for a guitar that can switch from lead to acoustic sounds... Help!

Well, a funny thing happened. Last night by a strange set of coincindinces, I saw the band again that I spoke of in the previous message. I asked the guitar player what kind of pedal he was using. He then informed that he wasn't and that his guitar had an acoustic pickup in it. Guess what kind of guitar it was. Yep, the LGX. So I can say now that I do believe that system would work pretty well for what you want to do.

Back