Gibson LP Studio vs. Standard- trying to decide

DaleVO

Poor Farm Productions
Ok guys,
Would a novice-intermediate player have buyer's remorse purchasing a clean, original guts, well-cared 2008 LP-Studio, for $600? Or will there be a big difference between a Studio and a Standard?

I have been fighting LP G.A.S. for a long while, waffling on Epi LPs (just to pacify the GAS but coveting a real Gibby LP sound), and recently saw the new 2017 line of LPs released.

Last night, I found a 2-month old C/L ad for the guitar above. Makes me wonder why it wasn't purchased, and if there is something about that model that I have not found in my research. She was purchased new, used in church band, and cased/stored since 2011.

Thanks in advance folks. I don't intend to open Pandora's box but seek experienced input.
Dale

LP studios are fine guitars. I'm not crazy about the pickups though, but I think the LP standard had the same pickups. Too bad they don't load the studios and standards with burstbuckers. I new set of pickups will set you back $200.

Jimi,
Thanks for the quick reply. My quick research on this guitar says that model came with "...Alnico V BurstBucker Pro humbucker pickups, the same humbuckers as the Les Paul Standard model." It is a 2008 Vintage Mahogany... they called it "worn brown."

If a new set of pickups is $200, on top of $600 for the guitar, I might be better off looking for a standard. Is that $600 reasonable for an '08 model?
Dale

Those worn models are actually pretty good.
Being all mahogany it will be a bit darker or warmer than a standard, but I find the BB pups are a bit bright.
600 bucks for price of admission into Les Paul world is pretty good.
If clean and with case, 600 bucks is a fair price.

The bottom line is they sound pretty damn good, and properly set up, will play as well as any of the expensive Gibson offerings.
For recording, no one will ever know that you dont have binding or a flame top. :D

Jimi,
Thanks for the quick reply. My quick research on this guitar says that model came with "...Alnico V BurstBucker Pro humbucker pickups, the same humbuckers as the Les Paul Standard model." It is a 2008 Vintage Mahogany... they called it "worn brown."

If a new set of pickups is $200, on top of $600 for the guitar, I might be better off looking for a standard. Is that $600 reasonable for an '08 model?
Dale
ok....the vintage mahogany is different than a regular LP studio. I knew the vintage mahogany LP's had burst buckers. The studios have those 498T o.r something like that. Those pickups are too hot IMHO and don't do clean very well.
I love the vintage mahogany LP's. Be aware that they are solid mahogany...without the carved maple top that the other Les Paul's have. While a normal LP Studio runs $1300 new (aprox. I haven't kept up with current LP prices) I think the vintage mahogany LP goes for around $700. I see guitar center run them in their ads from time to time for $600. To me $600 for a used Vintage Mahogany seems high. I would be trying to talk them down to $500. At $600 I would be inclined to cough up another $100 and grab a brand spanking new one when guitar center put them on sale again.

Investigate this on your own though, because I haven't really kept myself current on prices for Les pauls. Go to guitar centers Web site and go to used gear, then use the filter and narrow it down to "Gibson vintage mahogany Les Paul". It should pull up every used VM Les Paul for sale in every guitar center in the USA..Also, Check Craigslist and ebay. That will give you a good idea of the actual value of a used VM LP. That way you won't pay too much and you'll know when you see a damn good deal you need to pounce on quickly.

I will say this, the VM LP'S sound different that the carved maple top LP's. The old goldtops, from the mid 1950s, didn't have the maple caps and that is what the vintage mahogany Lp's are emulating.
I think they are cool guitars that sound great

Last edited:
Well I owe you guys a big thank you for sharing your experience and information. Last evening, I was emailing him back and forth though C/L email, asking questions, when all of the sudden his 2-month old C/L ad expired. I thought... Well that'll be the last I hear from him. My final email to him was asking if he would take $500.

Turn the page, I receive and email at lunch :p.... and set up a meeting to see and play it.
I pulled the trigger after hearing it growl on his Hotrod Deville, seeing that it is virtually pristine, with one small nick on the top edge of body, has Grover tuners, and the Gibson hard shell case that it was stored in was immaculate, pearly white inside. I was out the door for $500.

Come to find out, he bought it and used it to play rhythm for the church band. It may not have ever growled like that, in its life :cool:. His wife said clear some gear, after he just bought a new Line6 Variax. Sheltered... I learned something new, interesting idea in that Variax modeling. I'm going to have to go hear one now.

Thanks again friends.
New VM LP-owner,
Dale

To OP,
Score! :thumbs up:

@Robus
The studios are generally maple top. However the 'faded' studios are all mahogany. They came in red and brown with very thin satin finishes

Thanks Jimi... I appreciate the advice(s) that you and others shared. I feel that I was an informed decision maker and feel good about the deal. :thumbs up:
Dale

Back