Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Gold Top

The Gibson mini humbuckers sound pretty cool. I played an '80-'81 something Deluxe eleven years ago when I was shopping for my LP. Sucks about the Gibson QC or mishandling by AMS, whichever caused the damage. Hopefully the replacement is flawless.

I had a 1979 LP Deluxe GT - really heavy (about 10lbs). The gold had gone a bit of a funny green colour over the years though. Mini HBs are bright but do have plenty of power. Bought it in 1994 from A1 in Manchester UK for £500. Had to get rid of it a couple of years back to help pay the mortgage - really miss that guitar.

Got my guitar yesterday, been working, looks good, knobs good, p/u's secure. Haven't plugged her in yet.

I'll post some pics and let ya know how she sounds later.

Here's some pics.

HPIM2941.JPGHPIM2942.JPGHPIM2943.JPGHPIM2944.JPGHPIM2945.JPGHPIM2946.JPGHPIM2947.JPGHPIM2950.JPGHPIM2952.JPGHPIM2953.JPGHPIM2954.JPG

Plugged her in, can't hardly listen to it because the intonation is out and she wont tune up properly.

I never learned how to properly set up a guitar, so I'll have to take it in and get new strings and a set up. Hopefully I'm not wasting money.

Also the toggle switch or the wiring is fucked up. In the center position it only picks up the neck p/u. The other 2 positions work fine.

Would it be worth it to replace the wiring with older style wiring and get rid of that circuit board thing with the pots and all?

Thanks, I really like the way it feels, nothing like a fat neck on a guitar. After the set up and some 9's, I'm sure it'll be even better.

Looks great but I'm surprised at the problems it came with. I guess you didn't buy it from "Tradetang.com". Cheap Chinese stuff falls apart right away. I would never buy from them but I've read lots of complaints about their stuff. That Gibson looks well crafted but I still don't understand why you have trouble with the selector switch. Intonation, I can understand but the electronics should function properly.

I've been looking at the Epiphone Ultra II with the acoustic pickup and electronics. Very impressive axe.

Anybody have an impression of these?

Intonation on Gibsons is often more of a problem than other guitars, does that have fat frets? The toggle switch should be right and the thing should hold tune properly. Those are basic setup issues. I would suggest you contact the seller listing the issues and tell them you are getting a quote on putting them right if not you will be returning it.

As I mentioned in another thread, factory setups are not about getting everything spot on as everyone has a different idea of what they need from a setup but intonation and tuning stability should be right regardless. They may need tweaking after you have the setup and string set YOU want but they should still be good for the setup that is there already. The toggle problem is unforgivable that should never get out the factory like that. Be assertive, polite and don't take no for an answer. You will be living with this guitar for a while and have put up solid cash for it, you deserve to get it as described....

Finally got her set up. A tech at guitar center did it for me while I waited. $50 bucks. He checked out the switch, it's fine. I must be loosing it. I had him put the Dean Markley Helix's I won on Face Book on it, their 9's. He set the intonation, did some nut work and cleaned up a couple frets. Took him about 2hrs. The guitar now plays like the 1,500$ guitar it is. Tested it on a Line 6 Spider 150w 2x12 combo. Okay amp, not what I'm in to.

Any way a big thanks out to Jason the guitar tech at the Hobart Guitar Center.

Glad it worked out well for you. A good tech for those that don't have the time or confidence to do basic jobs is a God send. Same as a good mechanic it can save you a load of time and headaches.

Keep an eye on that toggle switch just in case. I always make a note on the job sheet if a customer notices something that isn't always apparent. That way should it appear later you have evidence to show to the seller/manufacturer should it present later.

Enjoy....

Gibson QC has gone right into the shitter. These stories are all too common now.

Regarding the Deluxe. Interesting story on the original run. No humbuckers left so they went with the mini-hums off the Firebird. A lot of guys routed and replaced with Dimarzios - like the one I have (Dimarzios since replaced w/Fralin PAFs.) Shame. Original early-seventies Deluxes (especially Goldtops) fetch serious coin now. I knew a guy that had one. One of the sweetest LPs I ever heard or played. Dumb fuck traded it for a Gretsch! I still lust after an original GT Deluxe - someday.

I don't care for Pauls that much BUT:

I'd love to have a goldtop and if I were given one for free the one I would choose is the one you have with the mini-buckers. I'd pick it over the more expensive pauls even if I didn't pay for it.
I had those p'ups in an old Firebird and a friend had one of the 70's goldtops with minis.
They have a sound of their own that I love.
Not as cutting as a P90 but not as muddy as a big ol' 'bucker ...... perfect compromise to my ears.

Congrats on a beautiful guitar.

Back