Getting good sounds from Bass Pod Pro

luckymann

Hi there,

I'm recording to my Echo Layla 20 soundcard with Cubase SX. I usually try to reach for a whole-band sound, although I play all the different things (guitars, synths, drum machine and bass) alone. I could really use some info how to use my Bass Pod Pro(by Line6) properly to get it my bass lines recorded well...

I have a Fender Jazz bass (American traditional, one of the cheapo models), and I'm not a good bassist. However I can create lines, and play in rhytm. The songs I record I play are mostly melodic rock.

I've recorded my bass tracks by plugging the bass to the Bass Pod Pro, using a preset, turn the volumes up high (to get a proper signal level) and recording both the DI and modelled signals. Then at the mixing stage I mix those two mono channels. But my bass sounds really lack balls & and sometimes there are huge volume peaks ( I thought the presets already had the compressor). I can compress the signal afterwards with a plugin, but its not the same...the track looses something. I.e. I only get either muddy or very thin bass sounds. Without any real balls.

Some of you speak very warmly about the Bass Pod Pro... how on earth you get those great sounds you talk about? In which way do you record them? Would any kind spirit post some tested and proven setups & settings for getting even for one particular great sound out of the Bass Pod. It seems I cannot do it... :(

Regards,
Kalle (from Finland)

Hi luckymann, welcome.

I've never used the bass pod, but here's how I get guitar sounds with my j-station.

First, I always have a clear goal. For example say that I'm looking to get a sound like Lemmy of Motorhead. I'd start by recording a short sample of him playing something with no other instruments playing. Then I look at it with a spectrum analyzer. Next, I record myself playing the exact same thing and compare. then I tweak the knobs until I get it to sounding good and looking good on the SA. It takes time though, so don't try to rush it.

I always tweak the sound before recording, even when it's a preset that I created. Try to make it's tone "fit" what is going on in the track using Overdrive, EQ, and Cabinet choices. Turning the compressor at least 1/3 of the way up gives you a fat, noticably compressed sound.

Spend enough time with the Bass POD to find out what amp models sound the best to you. I use a Fender Jazz Bass and I use the "Eighties", "Amp 360", and "Adam and Eve" models the most. I find those have consistently good tones. Try the Eighties model with one of the 4x10 or larger cabinets.

Most of the time I don't use both outputs. Sometimes just using the modeled amp output alone can make it easier to mix. If I want the sound to have a lot of balls, I use the Bass POD's compression and plenty of overdrive.

I always use the compressor on my Bass Pod. Not a Pro, but same knobs, right. I crank that compressor, at least halfway, and sometimes all the way to 3 o'clock. You'll find as you crank the compressor, the sound gets thicker, louder, bigger. I also tend to stick to certain amps, and turn off all the effects. The amps I like are the Adam and Eve, the Amp 360, the Rock Classic, the Motor City, and Flip Top.

I also like to roll off a little treble, get the mids up to about halfway, and go past halfway with the bass. Get the gain up halfway, then see where you are, and back off or add gain as necessary.

Remember to move all the knobs when you switch amp models or presets... if you don't you won't be seeing where the knobs really are for the sound.

That thing really shines with a Fender bass.

Back