Getting that good guitar tone

McShredsAlot

Hey everyone. I'm having some trouble getting a guitar tone I want. Tones like Joey Sturgis (I don't use pod farm btw). Im not trying to copy his tone. just looking for a good one. I was talking to the guitarist of Memphis May Fire on twitter recently and he told me on their record they used a TSE plugin, then LeXact and lecab2 with Catharsis s-preshigh. I have all of those plugs and can't get anywhere near it. I also have Nick Crowes cab, legion, hybrit, solo c as well as GH impulses, Gods cab, catharsis and red wirez. If any of you can tell me a good set of impulses to use together for a good tone I'd appreciate it. Or any other tips to help get that "beefy" tone. Thanks!

I had to find Memphis May Fire on youtube to familiarize myself with their sound. Sounds like typical modern high gain tone. A good deal of that tone comes from shaping before the amp (amp plug in this case). I'll bet the TSE plugin mentioned above is TSE808 which is a decent Tube Screamer emu. The setting most commonly used for metal is gain on 0, tone on 10, level at about 3/4 up. Some additional EQ may be added after the Tube Screamer to kill bass below about 60hz and boost mis-highs around 700-1500khz. Experiment with these settings to taste. Usually, a gate is used at both the beginning and the end of the input signal chain. Don't make the common mistake of using too much gain on the "amp". Modern "djent" tone get's a lot of it's tightness from using high gain amps with lower gain settings. Any 4x12 cab impulse with v30's recorded with an SM57 should do the trick. Go for impulses that are recorded off center about an inch away. Also, keep in mind the sound you are hearing from these recordings are the results of multiple layers of guitar. Usually 4 tracks. 2 panned left and 2 panned right.

Last edited:
I thought it was about decent guitar playing..

Well I used to be in a melodic death metal band like In Flames, Amon Amarth etc but I got kind of burnt out on it. I write my own music now which is like indie/folk rock. I've just downloaded a couple rar files with DI guitars and bass and such to practice my mixing.

Well I used to be in a melodic death metal band like In Flames, Amon Amarth etc but I got kind of burnt out on it. I write my own music now which is like indie/folk rock. I've just downloaded a couple rar files with DI guitars and bass and such to practice my mixing.

My comment wasn't aimed at you or anyone in particular...;)

I have no intentions of derailing the thread. By all means carry on. It's fascinating if completely alien - achieving desired tones through software. I'm sure I'll learn something even if I never use it. To me tone has always been produced by the amp, pedals, the guitar and the player. Then you record it, if that's your desire, in the cleanest way possible (with due respect for mic, placement and room coloration). The other tone threads reflect this paradigm.

No harm, no foul, eh?

I have no intentions of derailing the thread.

Me too, I was simply a'opining the current state of affairs vis-a-vis guitar tone creation.
It is a lot to get your head around and I thought disboided-head or whatever he's called did a great job of elucidating the process. :thumbs up:

They're just derailing threads. An annoying practice that used to get dealt with back when this place had moderators.

lol when was this place moderated. Some time since 2009 obviously. You couldn't be more wrong on that if you tried...

No one is derailing the thread. In fact some very good advice has been given if the OP wants to get a considered answer. First maybe post in the correct board section, second maybe search for a current thread that deals with the question. Other than that, have a nice day..

Back