Fuzzy-buzzy-crackly sound when I play an open D string

My bass has started sending a fuzzy buzzy crackly sound to my amp, mainly when I play an open D string, but also to some extent when I play D on the A string or on the G string (i.e. an octave up), or I play an open G string. It sounds a bit like the sound is playing through a broken speaker.

I get this problem both with my practice amp and with my headphone amp (which doesn't need a cable, so cabling is not the issue), but I don't get it with either amp if I replace the bass with my guitar.

I get the buzzing crackling sound on the signal from both pickups on the bass.

I also have another problem which may be connected, but then again may not be. Sometimes I get some fluctuation in the volume of the signal even when I don't adjust any volume control. I can't reproduce this effect as reliably as I can reproduce the fuzzy buzzy effect, and I know that the master volume control on the practice amp makes a lot of noise when I adjust it. In other words, it might be connected to the problem on the bass or it might be connected to the long-standing problem in the amp that should presumably be fixable by cleaning the pot.

One other piece of possibly relevant information is that I had the output socket on the bass replaced by a luthier two or three weeks ago.

Can anyone tell me what is likely to be going on with the bass and whether it will be expensive to get fixed?

De=oxit in the pots and roll them back and forth very quickly a few hundred times. The "wiper" contacts of the pot get oxidized and create contact faults/resistance. Normal maintenance should take care of it. While you have the cover off inspect all the wire connections/solder joints for cracks, looseness etc and reflow any sketchy looking solder joints. The jack itself also gets loose/oxidized so a good cleaning here will often be all that is needed

If all of this is greek then You tube guitar maintenance and soldering vids are your best bet or spend a few dollars and have the local luthier do a tune up to the electrics

De=oxit in the pots and roll them back and forth very quickly a few hundred times. The "wiper" contacts of the pot get oxidized and create contact faults/resistance. Normal maintenance should take care of it. While you have the cover off inspect all the wire connections/solder joints for cracks, looseness etc and reflow any sketchy looking solder joints. The jack itself also gets loose/oxidized so a good cleaning here will often be all that is needed

If all of this is greek then You tube guitar maintenance and soldering vids are your best bet or spend a few dollars and have the local luthier do a tune up to the electrics

Thanks for the explanation. I'm relieved that it sounds like it won't be too expensive to fix. I think I'll go back to the luthier who replaced my jack, just in case this problem is connected to that repair job. I have trouble seeing how the problem could be related to the pots on the bass because they are in parallel (each assigned to a different pickup) and turning either of them to zero doesn't get rid of the noise.

Back