fun yard sale find

Anomaly Design said:
I'd buy it in a second if it was a cut away. What do you think of it?

No idea yet, it only had one string, the low E when i bought it. Based on that, the action looked nice and that string sounded fine :)

just bought new strings at lunch today, I'll string it tonight and see how it sounds. It is in pretty great shape, the only flaws i noticed were a couple small pits about the size of a nail head in the finish of the soundboard.

Daav

That's funny. I actually passed on one for $20. Lady had steel strings on it for a decade and you could see the neck just moving and she's trying to tell me there's no problems. Crazy garage sale housewives...

You've found a diamond in a goat's ass! :eek:
Someone told ME that, after I showed them my recently scored 1982 Soundtracs 16816 console, for next to nothin! All discrete channels for $50! :D There are treasures to be had, this garage sale season! :p

I've found some cool treasures at garage sales. About a month ago the wife brought me home a 1962 Silvertone all tube amp built into the guitar case. Built by DanElectro for Sears. It's 3 watts and looks brand new. Five bucks. And a few months before that we picked up a NAD power amp, tuner and CD player with a pair of JBL LX-55's for $50. This system will back the nails out of the drywall.

Just for fun a follow up:
new strings and some stretching and tuneing, retuning, etc and it sounds pretty dman good. once the strings started to get loose, it holds tune nicely, which was my biggest worry, and has that nice mellow warm nylon string tone I wanted for another flavor of guitar in the collection (this makes 6, all bargains or straight up cheap though).

The one hang up is a lack of projection, worse than i am used with with classical guitars. In my estimation the soundboard is a bit thick and probabaly doesn;t vobrate as nicely as it could. Probably has helped keep it together so well over the years. Nontheless, i am really happy for little more than the cost of new strings. It will make the perfect mellow-strum-around-the-campfire-guitar and sounds really nice fingerpicked.

Daav

daav said:
It will make the perfect mellow-strum-around-the-campfire-guitar and sounds really nice fingerpicked.

yes! :) i love the sound of a finger picked nylon string guitar. i'm awful at it, but it's so relaxing, i can just sit in my room for hours just going over the same little chord sequence, trying different patterns, bringing out different notes... mmm... :) plus, on a recording, everyone uses acoustic and electric guitars, and classical just stands out so nicely, and sounds so ace... i used it on one of my bands recordings ... www.myspace.com/thedeedpoll - it's on "The Project".

but yes! well done on your find, and i hope you enjoy your new instrument.

Andy

Back