Forum Newbie-Amateur Guitar/Home Recording Guy

blackscot

Hello folks. I just joined this forum so thought I’d give a little intro. I’m hoping to hear from people with similar interests from whom I can learn.

I started playing guitar somewhere around 14, which I’m now 46 (will be 47 Monday...gasp!). For many years I just played acoustic, jamming with a couple buddies in high school, then just on my own in adulthood as a way to unwind after work. Mostly the 70’s organic-type rock that I grew up with like America, Crosby Stills etc. Sometime in my 30’s I was looking for something new to get into and started playing electric guitar, again just on my own for a couple of years working out more material from my youth but now broadened to include some of the heavier stuff like Jethro Tull, Black Sabbath, etc. It never really stood on its own though like the acoustic could (and I can’t – repeat CANNOT – sing worth a hoot, so that’s a definite NON-option). I really wanted to try some of the lead-guitar parts I’d heard over the years, which of course wouldn’t really sound like anything without having some kind of back-up. I realized I could try getting into a group, but for food and shelter I’ve sadly become a busy “professional” and knew I’d never have enough time (or patience honestly) to go that route. Enter home recording…..

I’d heard of multitrack recording and thought: what if I could record all the back-up parts, then I could play it all back together while I played my lead guitar to it. Sort-of a virtual back-up band. So several years ago I got one of the Tascam 4-track-cassette porta-studio dealies and put together a few projects, including tunes by bands like Pink Floyd, Santana, Gordon Lightfoot, and Jethro Tull. For sound generation, I linked a keyboard controller to a Roland JV1010 synth. Worked pretty well and was a lot more fun than playing the electric guitar alone. I’ve focused on 70’s era tunes that have what to me are “inspirational” lead-guitar parts, something that sounds like you just want to belt it from the top of your lungs like an opera singer. A prime example is my very first project: Floyd’s “Comfortably Numb”. If you know it, you know what I’m talking about.

Of course there were technical limitations I soon ran up against using 4-track cassette, so as a quantum leap forward I bought a PC and dedicated it to a Digidesign Mbox, now about two years ago. I still use the Roland so a lot of my material is MIDI, but also with some audio where needed such as acoustic guitar strumming, etc. (but NO vocal). I tried some of the bundled software that came with the Mbox, but ended up going back to the Roland. My first couple of projects have been re-makes of two I had done on the 4-track cassette, but now brought to a far greater scope and depth. I’m now working on a wholly new one, Steely Dan’s “Reelin’ in the Years”. If anyone is interested, is there a way to post .wav files here? I’ve got a couple of the earlier projects.

So, I am interested in hearing from anyone doing home recording basically as a means to provide a backing band for your “real” instrument, and especially if it happens to be guitar. Is there anyone out there doing the same kind of thing? If so, what tunes have you put together (or would like to), what challenges (technical or musical) have you run up against (I've got a couple with my current project), what "tips" can be shared, etc.? Do you pretty directly emulate the original version, or come up with more of your own arrangement (I've used both approaches)?

Most of what I've read about home recording is people making wholly original music, where the recording is the end in itself (which is great). For me though, recording is the means to an end, i.e. playing lead guitar.

Thanks for reading this far, and looking forward to learning lots of good stuff here.

Welcome aboard, blakscot. I won't be able to write too much right now (still at work!), but I'll be around in awhile. I'm also doing a little side "one man band" project and the limitations can be quite frustrating. When something actually comes together, though, it's amazing; if nothing else, you don't have to worry about the damn drummer saying "this song rocked because of my tom fill during your guitar solo!" Good luck with your stuff.

johnnymegabyte said:
You could mix your 4 track cassette to a PC and save as MP3, then burn to CD
Then you can play the MP3 CD on a DVD player

Yeah, I did that with another couple of the earlier 4-track projects and it worked well. These I thought sounded pretty good as-is and I didn't really feel like totally re-doing them. The two I did the remakes of using the Mbox were so I could add-in more parts along with plug-in effects that I didn't have before. Sure opened up a lot more possibilities, but also a comensurate amound of time needed to realize.

Welcome to the forum, I like to call it "the answer place," at least this is where I come when I hit a snag and have no idea what to do.
Like you, I've been playing guitar for quite a while, started at 6 am 51 now. Although I also play in a band I also do a lot of solo recording, I write and use the recordings to finalize ideas into complete songs. Most of my work consists of; drums, bass, two or three guitar tracks, some keyboard (I'm not that good on keyboard,) and however many vocal tracks it takes to make me sound almost like a singer. I'm not a great singer but I have discovered that if I use enough vocal tracks and tweek them enough I can almost pass as a singer.
We seem to have similar tastes in music so should be able to share a few ideas and and learn from each other. I certainly do not know how to do everything, but I have discovered a lot of things that don't work which I will be glad to share.
Well so much for my intro. Again I say welcome aboard, post lots of questions, and read lots of the other forums. Sometimes I have been amazed at the amount of info some of the guys here share, some of them have been at it for years and seem to know all the dos and don'ts.

Welcome aboard!! I'm close to the same age(42) so we probably have some common ground musically. I have been playing guitar since about 7. Can't read music or tab, but can play pretty well. I played full time from about
79' to 90' (3-5 times a week)so I have had the luxury of a good back up band.
Not much time for it now except for a few "jam night" things I go to. I use the home studio (8 track reel to reel) for fun mostly. Mostly covers...and instrumental stuff.(translation:I can't write lyrics very well)
You'll find everyone here is real friendly, and quick to share Info.
So feel free to ask questions and "pipe in" with your own thoughts.

Having some type of recording rig is a lead guitarist's best friend. What you are describing is how I always learn/write solos. I'm in a band and they would never put up with playing the solo part of a song over and over and over for me. So I record the rhythm guitar to a click track and then I can work out a solo on my own time at home.

You may find that recording rhythms for your lead work may inspire you to write original material also. If nothing else, recording can be a great scratch pad and learning tool. Ever wonder what two lead guitars playing a minor 3rd harmony sound like? Just record one part and then experiment with playing different harmonies. Heck, you can do 4 part harmonies on guitar AND have a rhythm guitar or two. The possibilities for fun are endless. :D

Scottgman said:
You may find that recording rhythms for your lead work may inspire you to write original material also. :D

Well I haven't gone that far yet, but have in at least one case made a pretty original (I think) arrangment of my own from Jethro Tull's "Aqualung". It was especially fun breaking ranks from the original other than keeping just the basics of the melody. The first half is an almost "easy listening" treatment (if you can picture that), before it breaks into the driving lead guitar bit.

Also thanks for everyone for all the warm welcomes and sharing common background and experience. Most of my acquaintances are non-music related, so there's some sense of isolation at times for sharing ideas. This forum sounds like a pretty likely remedy.

welcome
just remember don't be afraid to ask questions you think are stupid, people are always very helpful.

good luck

Why mix & convert to MP3 to play on a dvd player? It should play wave files & you should play the best quality format available.
Hi, enjoy the learning curve - it's uaually steep but fun.

Back