Fishman AEQ-SP1 cuts off

Klhald

I have an Ibanez AEG10II-TNG-3R-01 classical guitar with the above pickup.

I am running through a Mackie 1202-VLZ Pro mixer, through a M-Audio Firewire 410 to my desktop PC running Pro-Tools 12.

When I plug the Ibanez into the mixer, the output of the guitar cuts off after about 30 seconds. The level meters on the mixer show no signal. If I turn the Tuner on the Fishman on and off, then the signal returns for about 30 seconds then shuts off. When I connect the Ibanez directly to the FireWire 410, it works perfectly with no signal abnormalities.

It seems there is some interaction between the mixer and the Fishman that I do not understand.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Why are you going through the mixer? And how are you plugging in?

I notice that the mixer does not seem to have an instrument level input, so maybe it's a load mismatch the preamp doesn't like. Just a WAG, really.

Do you have a DI you can go through to see if that makes a difference?

I run all my instruments through the mixer, it's more convenient than going directly through the Firewire. Plus, the mixer has EQ.

I do have a DI but, I didn't try that. I'll let you know.

Thanks for the info.

Well, whaddaya know! I ran through the DI and no issues.

Thanks, Keith, for the excellent advice!

Glad that worked.

You might also try just putting in a new battery if you didn't do that already. It might be low and just getting pulled down quicker going in the hi-Z input on the mixer, then recovering, and repeating. My electronics knowledge goes about as far as keeping the + and - ends of the battery oriented correctly :).

Back