Firehouse acoustic guitar sound??!!

Shana

How can I get that "Firehouse" guitar sounds? You know the one that is thick and bright at the same time. I'm recording a track of just guitars and i want that rich sound. (Im using a the pickup that u stick onto the guitar. Not a magnetic one. The one that picks up vibrations) SHould I get a mike i put into the guitar? And why does my other magnetic pickup sound so staticky? I even trimmed the cable a bit but that doesnt seem to do it and i hear the static thru my headphones when i raise the input level on my recorder (boss br8). I basically want to loose the "space" thats being recorded along with the guitar sound.
Thanx

Sounds like a piezo stickem-type thing, like a DiMarzio or a Buffalo Nickel. Sticks to the soundboard with some kind of Gorilla snot glue stuff? Down around the bridge, off the treble side? Has a squeaky grey cord that kinks a lot? It's an old design, and sounds like it did in 1978. Might even be a FRAP! (little piece of wood with a wire coming out, sticks on with florist putty? Keep it; might be worth something someday. FRAP started this whole thing. Kinda like a first edition).

I'd lose the pickup and spring for a new one, or else mic the guitar externally (check the microphone threads on this BBS). If you have what I think you have, you will not convince it to give you a good sound. Ever. It's a piezo crystal that doesn't benefit from a strong contact with the instrument.

Test the theory and strum the instrument with it plugged in. Then put your thumb on the pickup and press down while the guitar resonates. You'll hear it turn into a real guitar sound just before it feeds back.

Now, piezo technology has moved from the soundboard to underneath the saddle on the bridge. Same basic thing - nothing shabby about the theory behind your pickup - but an undersaddle piezo, like a Martin thinline, a Fishman or a Baggs, is sitting under about 150 lbs of pressure. BIG difference.

Hair sucks thats why I shaved mine off!
Yeah, I know what you're thinking, not all my hair. he he he!

[This message has been edited by reco (edited 04-18-2000).]

Hey DMCSILVA

Not EVERYBODY listens to the same shit you do. And what is trixter and poison? Am I supposed to understand that?

Sounds like someone is a little touchy. I am so sorry you took my slam on Firehouse as a personal insult. Please forward my apologies to their moms.

dmc

Trixter and poison were acustic guitar revolutionaries from the mid to late 80's.
That C.C. Deville, man he smoked!

I tried recording acustic direct recently and used an Art mp. I was able to get a nice hot signal and it diddn't sound to bad once I added a little chorus and verb.
Hope this helps more than the artist slam (sorry)

Back