Fine, laugh at me, but

Alanfc

Fine, laugh at me, but

I know this has been covered a 1000x, but I have seen no defintive answers or warnings about damage to my power section-

I must know before I try this out-

= Volume boost in the FX loop rather than up front =

so I can get volume increase for solos, without additional preamp distortion (which I have plenty of already)

I will try it with my Blues Driver with Gain at =0=, and with a compressor.

so anything to be scared of?

Well, I did this once using a Carvin Nomad (vintage type amp) and a wah pedal with a 20db boost function, and nothing was damaged as far as I know. If anything, expect the power tubes to not last as long.

I would assume that as long as you are using a tube amp, then there should be no problems.

Thats a good idea. I don't need anymore preamp distortion either...but my amps don't have EFX loops. :(

Some 12ax7 preamp tubes are labeled as 'graded for high gain' but I dont know if those drive the power amp more or if they just create more preamp distortion. I suppose it might make a difference which tube you replace.

guitarist said:
Some 12ax7 preamp tubes are labeled as 'graded for high gain' but I dont know if those drive the power amp more or if they just create more preamp distortion. I suppose it might make a difference which tube you replace.

It means the preamp tube will break up sooner, and in the end, allowing more gain.

Back