Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fender Telecaster Modern Player plus....?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I read that as if they were referring to Telecasters in general, not that specific model. Two pickups, volume, tone, and a selector switch. All you need. That's why I have a Tele, and my humbucker guitar is now an Epi LP Special II instead of a Gibson LP - good enough to get the job done.

Any guitar can be set up properly so the action is good and it doesn't fret out, unless there's a real fault with the construction. Most Fenders except the Classic series, reissues and Customs, i.e., nearly all MIM and MIA Standards, have 9.5" radius, and probably all the Squiers.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    I wish I had skills to zip through a fret job and re-fret these guitars. Its the common frets 2,3,4 etc... either ding's or someone sanded them down not knowing what they were doing...

Raising the height is always an option but thats a band-aid isnt it?

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

Thanks
    well the used ones gone of the Fender MP + tele... I think I can pass. the only thing I know I liked was the neck. maybe one will pop up someday for $150 or so..

now im not sure I want to grab the $600 US strat now either. it played beautifully and is great shape, but the pickups will not be much different than the strat I sold yesterday for $500.

its weird, ive had my bass and acoustic for decades but i keep trading and swapping out electric guitars looking for "the one"?

keith you might be right, maybe its a jazz pickup subliminally missing....like a JB or something.
    something full and clean, I guess trading for strat after strat doesnt really accomplish much change in sound.

I like those soap bar Danelectro and Tele tones, and also dont know much about humbuckers but reading about the JB seymourduncan it sounds enticing. I like SG tones too...
    maybe I just have GAS +S

Thanks
    You do better buying used from small music stores than from guitar center.
    Guitar Center is high as hell on used stuff. Rule of thumb has always been used goes for 50% of the new price. Guitar Center is more like 75% to 80% of the new price on used stuff.

But, if you have something you want to trade in on a new piece of equipment....Guitar center usually gives you the best trade.
    I was country before they took the O out.

Thanks
    I think theres some inconsistency too.
    My friend is a neat freak and his mint US Strat from 87....showroom condition they offered $350 and he took it.
    Blue burst... I didnt have the $350.

So flashforward to a different person in a different GC and I toook in a Squier20th anniversarty body with a US 92 neck with a stripped truss nut (I bought the neck for $180) and set it up best I could with shims and the Squier 20th had Alnico pups ...that Squier 20th Standard is also a two point tremelo...sleeper...

anyway the dude gave me $500 cash for this when I was expecting a offer of $100 or so based off my buddys $350 offer for a mint US blue burst with the metal roller nuts I forget the marketing series...

GC at least has Return Option which after I have been burnt twice this week on CL junk that Option to Return is worth something...20% maybe I dont know. I have a VCR deck $90 that played about 1hr, now in the garbage and my Musikraft neck that turned out to have buzz spots that means fret job,,,,Ive spent about 12hrs tweaking it, oh and it had a stripped truss nut...so why did I buy it? ..it was $50, and I had drank too many beers when I had looked at it in the parking lot of the bar....CL is full of garbage with some great deals now and then.
    No Return Option though usually.

yeah Ive ordered used at GC that showed up in the mail in such bad shape I didnt even take it home, I just asked for a refund on the spot. I dont think "some GC guys" even look at what they are buying.

Thanks
    As for the Modern Player plus Tele, I got one and some cash in a trade for a bass I had and wasn't using. It's actually a pretty nice playing guitar and has become my "guitar-on-the-stand-in-the living-room" instrument so it gets played a lot. I am surprised at the reluctance that seems to be prevalent for something that, although inexpensive, is certainly beyond a "beginner" level of guitar. I will eventually change the electronics but only because I want to rather than need to.
    Chord with this, Teddy......

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cavedog101 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    are you a tele player, I ask because I wonder if the MP+ is a typical neck?
    I played a bunch of Teles and liked the MP player neck...not sure why, because if its typical sized then the poly-shine neck and setup must be why I liked it so much.
    $424 for a brand new one, w/warranty isnt really cheap to me..lol
    $350 seems to be the used price today might as well get new

$400 is a crowded space for guitar pricing it seems, Squier ClassicVibes, MIM Fender and Fender China and what else....

ADD: went to another GC to check out a used one and a new one. Both had pretty bad damage of laquer chipped off on the necks, and the back on both had a odd indentation crack, abnormal looking ding...maybe the Pine body?

love the neck....was going to take one home but GC wouldnt budge on price for what I consider severe damage and this other store couldnt match Musician Friend price.

ADD: I got a Fender Modern PLayer sunburst used on CL mint condition for $170
    Last edited by CoolCat; 06-16-2018 at 18:24.

Thanks
    Perhaps you came across an exhibit from China, a high copy, which is very much in China. It may sound good, but the details and the quality of the wood itís not that good.

Thanks
    Sounds cool Cat. Thick neck's where it's at for a Tele. You can find used Mexicans for less money. Another couple of hundred would get you a used American Standard.

Thread Information