Fender Precision Deluxe Bass

keneds

I'm in the market to pick up a new American made P bass and came upon the "Deluxe" model witch has active pick ups... Has anyone purchased or played one? It looks like a real nice piece ($1500) and I'm leaning in that direction. Never owned a "P" bass, Thanks, Ken

Mike has a Jazz active. The only thing to check is that if the battery dies the whole thing shuts down. There's two kinds I think he said - those that do and those that you can shift to passive.

I own a Fender Deluxe P Bass Special. I love active pups. I don't own a passive bass anymore. I like the control of being active.

I have yet to have a battery die on my at a show, or rehearsal for that matter. I think I change the 9v battery once every 6 months.

My G&L L2000 has the ability to play passive, but......

I think active basses have a huge leg up on passive basses (whether they have active eq or active pickups) when going direct.

It's almost like sticking a sansamp right inside the bass.

That said, I own a standard J and love the shit out of the thing.

After playing and working on Fender basses for over 45 years, I am pretty much in the passive camp. Active Fenders are just wrong, and active basses for recording are not something pro engineers put up with if they don't have to. You can EQ better and cleaner upstream in the studio. Passive Precision, direct, tweak in the panel. That's been the standard forever, for good reason.

Back