Fender Jaguar/Jazzmaster Question

brich2929

www.livingwaters.com
I just bought whats called a "Serviceman's Copy" of the Jaguar and I am going to refurb it into a better version.

It needs a new bridge and I have 2 choices available
the original Jazzmaster bridge (multiple ridges for the string but height adjustable)
or the Mustange bridge only one spot for the string so less chance of slippage but no height adjustment.

Does anyone have any input on this as to which is better?

I used to have the original but I changed it for the Mustang bridge. My strings jumped out to quickly. I play 0.09 strings so maybe it'll work with a 0.10 ....
greetz

I just bought an American 62 Reissue Jag and replaced the saddles with these:

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/saddles_jagjazz.htm (The White Graphtec Tusq ones on the far left).

They work perfectly. They're height adjustable and have a groove like the mustang saddles. I would also suggest some locking tuners (I used sperzels) and heavier strings. I strung mine up with Flatwound 12's, but I'm a masochist.

How do you gound you guitar since the Tusq's aren't conductive?

It grounds through the trem/tailpiece unit. But get the black graphtech saddles. At least, those would be my preference.

Actually, my preference would be to never have to deal with one of those POS Jazzmaster/Jaguar trems ever again in my life, but that doesn't seem likely, I'm afraid.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

It grounds through the trem/tailpiece unit. But get the black graphtech saddles. At least, those would be my preference.

Actually, my preference would be to never have to deal with one of those POS Jazzmaster/Jaguar trems ever again in my life, but that doesn't seem likely, I'm afraid.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Blame it on Leo.
I remember talking to Don Randall a few times about Jazzmasters and Jaguars (and the 12 string) and he said Leo (being a tool and dye guy) pushed those trem designs. They work ok with heavy strings.

I had a 66 Jazzmaster as a main electric back in the 70's and loved it, but only after an extensive rewire to Tele controls and the pickups redone with much tinner wire. Sure wish that guitar hadn't been stolen, I really liked it.

Blame it on Leo.
I remember talking to Don Randall a few times about Jazzmasters and Jaguars (and the 12 string) and he said Leo (being a tool and dye guy) pushed those trem designs. They work ok with heavy strings.

I had a 66 Jazzmaster as a main electric back in the 70's and loved it, but only after an extensive rewire to Tele controls and the pickups redone with much tinner wire. Sure wish that guitar hadn't been stolen, I really liked it.

Yeah, I know it's Leo's fault, but all I care about is that they suck. The man was a genius, but that doesn't mean he never fucked anything up.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Hey, now that's enough Jazzmaster bashing!!

My '62 is my baby, my pride and joy...(though I admit, it takes a little graphite powder on the bridge and nut and locking tuners to make the trem work in a satisfactory manner).

Cheers!

-Kev

Hey, now that's enough Jazzmaster bashing!!

My '62 is my baby, my pride and joy...(though I admit, it takes a little graphite powder on the bridge and nut and locking tuners to make the trem work in a satisfactory manner).

Cheers!

-Kev

I'm not bashing Jazzmasters, just the POS trems they came with.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

While we're talking about bad Fender designs, the Telecaster jack (in the metal cup) never made any sense to me.

Buy an Electro-Socket. They fit in the same hole, and they are WAY better. The only problem is they only come in anodized aluminum, so if you want it to be plated you have to get it done yourself.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Back