Fender Champ

David

Got a chance to buy a 70'ish fender vibro champ for 250.00...does that sound about right? Went to HC and read the reviews, sounds like a killer little amp. Also the guy said he installed a weber in it, and would send the original speaker along with it. Any *Champ* fans out there?

Is it a tube amp like the earlier ones? Seems like an ok deal with the upgrade as long as it sounds good and is in good shape. If it's solid state, I don't know.

hixmix said:
Is it a tube amp like the earlier ones? Seems like an ok deal with the upgrade as long as it sounds good and is in good shape. If it's solid state, I don't know.

Yep, it's tube. He give me a guarantee not to be DOA. :D

$250, is a pretty good deal,... we sell our clones for $400 and up,.... hard to even build one of any quality for less,.... I would grab it,.. you won't be sorry....

Bring it to the fest, and I will re-tube it for you....

Steve

Just another vote for "go for it." The old Fender Champ (late 60s-early 70s) actually sound like Fenders and have a lot of punch for their wattage. The later models (solid state) sound like a tin can with a speaker in it.

hixmix said:
My first amp in the early '60's. Wish I still had the little bugger.
This is kinda mis-leading.It is a well documented fact that you were born
in the 1860's,and only went electric after Dillon paved the way.
Great little amp,get it.

SHEPPARDB. said:
This is kinda mis-leading.It is a well documented fact that you were born
in the 1860's,and only went electric after Dillon paved the way.

I had an extended childhood. :D

The Champ was the very first amp I ever got. My Dad gave me a 1960's Champ for my 14th birthday in 1973. I still have it, re-tubed and with an Eminence speaker in it. My brother loves it.

I just wish my next door neighbour would sell me his Super Champ. He doesn't play, and he just lets it sit int he basement with boxes and dirty laundry all over it. Oughta be a law..... :mad:

$250 is about the going rate for a 70s Champ. It's a great bargain for what you get. The circuit stayed the same from the early 60s until they stopped making them around 83. They used a cheaper cabinet construction in the late 70s, but I don't think they sound any different. I use mine all of the time on an amp stand and miced. I don't miss reverb. If I want to moisten the tone up a bit I use a Fulltone Deja Vibe. I leave it set around 5 on the volume with the guitar turned down a little for a nice clean sound, and turn the guitar up a little or use a Fulldrive to get crunchy. I love mine.

The Champ is an all around great little amp. Lots of records were recorded using the Champ for guitars. Clapton's guitar on Layla was run through a Champ (a tweed from what I understand). For $250, the price is right if it is in decent shape. The Weber speaker should be decent and more hardy than the OEM. I have a 64 champ (Tweed circuit, but in black tolex - a transitional model) with a Weber in it and it really kicks. I have a Super Champ also, but it is really a different flavor from the 64. Wonderful little things. I got to get a Princeton Reverb in blackface next. :D

Back