Fender Amplifiers

jwalsh

I was just wondering if someone could make me some recommendations. I have a Fender Princeton Chorus Amp (1995, I think) and a Marshall JCM2000. The marshall had to go in the shop so I've been using the Princeton Chorus reguarly for the first time in about a year. And I fell in love with it, even moreso than my Marshall. However, its not quite loud enough and the clean channel (the only one i really use) loses some clarity when the volume is high. So I was wondering, what are some good fender amps (for under $1000). Because I am looking into maybe selling the Marshall and getting a better Fender amp that is similar to the Princeton Chorus, but is louder and cleaner. Thanks in advance!

I've got a 70's twin reverb, i don't know the price or how it compares, but it goes very loud, sounds amazing and i have never heard a bad word seid about it from anyone who has played on it.

I have a Fender DeVille (2x12 model, 60 Watts) and am completely happy with it. So much in fact that I am thinking about getting the 4x10 model too, because it has a slightly different sound. I have seen both of these amps lots of places for around $700 or less.

Your Princeton Chorus may be a transistor amp. The Twin (which is an industry standard great amp, BTW) is a tube amp. I think the Deville may be tubes, too.
If so, they will sound considerably different at high volume than the Princeton. To my ears, tubes are a definite improvement, but lots of great players prefer the sound of transistors.

Your best move is to go to your local store and crank up a few amps. Don't go on a Saturday, and be aware of the sales guys on the phone and you'll be fine.

Try a Roland Jazz Chorus - transistors and much louder than the Princeton. I would also recommend that you sell the Marshall privately; you'll get more money and they're *easy* to sell.

For $1,000, you may be able to get a used Mesa Boogie. They are tube amps, too, and they absolutely sing!

(Disclaimer: No, I don't work for Boogie)

foo

I agree with the other guys that have replied. A Fender Twin is a great amp for clean tone at higher volume. However, be aware that it is a tube amp and will sound different that your Fender chorus which is solid state. But I have prefer the sound of tubes. Silver faced Twins from the late '70's
can be found for $500-$800, depending on the condition. The main thing to look for is, the age of the tubes and look for original speakers. Also be prepared to spend some bucks have the amp checked out. Tube amps require more care that solid state amps. My
advice is to have the filter capcitors checked and replaced as needed(if a filter cap goes,it can take the whole amp with it). Check the power and output transformers make sure the tube sockets are tight and the power
tubes are not too old(while playing through amp check to see if power tubes turn from orange to a blue glow, if they do it's time to replace them). DO NOT DO NOT use GROOVE Tubes as your replacements if you plan to use the amp for a clean sound. They tend to be hotter than other brands and will offer more break up or distortion. RUBY TUBES are a great all around replacement tube and less expensive. Other good amps to use for a clean sound are Fender Vibrasonics. The first generation from '60-63 are brown faced and are rare and expensive. Fender started making these amps again in the '70s for use with steel guitar. They have the same basic tube configuation as Twins, but also offer a vibrato circuit. Fender Bandmaster heads and
Concert Pros will also give you a clean tone at higher volume. Just keep in mind that these amps have chorus built in.....here is the solution. Slave your Princeton with whatever louder amp you eventualy buy. Plug your guitar into your Princeton set it to a very low volume then run a cable from the second input jack on it to the input jack on your new amp. Now adjust the volume and EQ on both amps to achieve the tone that you like. Also try doing this with your Marshall
after it's out of the shop BEFORE INVESTING into another amp unless you are itching for some new gear.........have fun.

So Sorry. I left out some very important words in the last bit of my previous post.
Correction:
....keep in mind that these amps DO NOT have
chorus built in........

Thanks Jim. I'm slightly reluctant to buy another tube amp, and I am thrilled with the Princeton Chorus, it just isnt quite loud enough. I mean, for most shows, its miked anyway, so its not a big deal, but occasionally I'd like some more power without losing clarity. I dont use distortion (or if i do, its rare) so that really isnt an issue. I have the marshall as I said, and while I loved it for a few months, I really prefer the Princeton Chorus. While this may be due less to the tube/solid state thing and more because the Marshall sound ultimately wasnt what I wanted, I am slightly reluctant to buy another tube amp. However, I'm gonna run down to the shop and try everything. One question though, does the ultimate chorus sound the same as the princeton, I mean, is the only different the power? Thanks Jim.

Thanks for the advice everybody, I appreciate it. I'm still undecided on what to do, but I know for sure I am selling the Marshall. I'll go down to the music shop and try out a bunch of different amps. Or maybe I'll just crack and buy the rickenbacker I always wanted......

The Princeton's big brother, the Ultimate Chorus, gives 130 watts. I, too, had the Princeton and traded it in for more power. I do regret the lost. I did pick up a Peavey Bandit which had a very nice clean channel. The distortion kinda sucks, though. For more power, I think the Ultimate would be a good choice. I have played a Hot Rod Deville 4 x 10 and must say it was awesome. It is a tube amp, though the reverb and EQ are not tube units. But the pre and power amp are. Another guitarist I know just bougth the Fender Stage 160 (160 watts enough?) and said it has an awesome clean channel. Of course, the Twin and Twin Reverb are the LOUD workhorses of Fender. The Reverb wont break up much and the Twin has a nice smooth overdrive without too much dirt. Both of those units are tube, so they will knock your socks off.

Peace, Jim

I just picked up a near-mint Fender Princeton brown amplifier at an auction for $35. :) I had to stand in 109 degree temps for four hours, but it was worth it.

The auctioneer didn't know what he had...he put it with some boxes full of games like Monopoly and stuff, and said your 'choice'...started the bidding at five bucks. I was prepared to go quite a bit higher than the $35, I can tell you that. :cool:

In looking, it looks like they were only made in the brown from 1961 - 1963. My dad still has a Fender Deluxe Reverb in the brown from the same period, but it is not in nearly as good of condition, he still takes it on the road with him (though that's only about five times a year). I think they would make a fine looking pair in my house someday.

i have a fender princeton chorus too, only mine has the red knobs, which i've been told means that its pre-1986. (i've also been told that it sounds a little better than the post-1986 princeton chorus). I love the thing to death, and i got it for a steal of a price too, $200. it was sort of beat up, but the sound was and still is awesome. I wouldn't trade it for any other amp.

sorry don't have any ideas on what amp to get. I just wanted to say that fender amps are really good. My buddy got his cyber-twin a few months after i got my flextone II. The cyber-twin sounds great and is a wicked amp for lots of different uses. Maybe you could find one on ebay for 1000, otherwise it may be out of your budget range.

Maybe you should try hooking up the Princeton to a larger cab (it will be a little louder, worth a shot at least)....maybe even use your Marshall cab if the ohms match up.

I had a Princeton Chorus 2x10, 2 25W channels, and it was a red knob. As far as I know, it was new when I got it in 1990. I can't imagine it sitting on the floor for 4 years so I'm a bit suspicious of the 1986 date on a PC. either way, it was a great amp for an intermediate-level teen guitarist. I rarely used the clean channel on the thing...I was a hair-band cover "artist" and it worked perfectly for the late 80s-early 90s distortion.

I just replaced it with a Traynor YCV80 and I can't believe how much more I like the tube sound. I don't think that the clean channel would be what you're after...it breaks up at high volumes. But if you need the clean channel loud enough to where it breaks up, then WOW. 80 tube watts is enough to rattle every piece of glass and china in my house. But the clean channel on it really does sound great, with the expander and brightness options on the YCV80. I just thought that a LP sounded dead on clean, until I played it thru this thing. Oh, and it does have reverb standard.

Hey jwalsh.... If your in the Delmarva/DC Metro/Baltimore area I might be selling my Jc77 soon. It's a smaller version of the Roland Jc120.

Be Loveless said:
Hey jwalsh.... If your in the Delmarva/DC Metro/Baltimore area I might be selling my Jc77 soon. It's a smaller version of the Roland Jc120.

What would you sell it for (edit...meaning how much, not why)? I have a JC-120 that I use as a fiddle amp, but would much rather have the 77.

The Twin Reverb is REALLY LOUD and REALLY HEAVY, and a new one will set you back more than $1000. Here are some Fenders which are a step up power-wise from a Princeton, will cost you less than the Twin, and have less power than the Twin Reverb:

Super Reverb
Deluxe Reverb (around 20-25 W)
Pro Reverb
Vibrolux Reverb
Concert Amp
Vibroverb
Hot Rod Deville
Hot Rod Deluxe

They're all good.

Ditto what AGCurry said.

Go with a 50W fender Tube combo-amp and never look back.

Silverface (late 60's through 70's):
Vibrolux Reverb (getting a bit pricey 2x10")
Pro Reverb (still can be had decent price 2x12")
Super Reverb (loudest/heaviest 50W Fender 4x10")
Twin Reverb (you'll only EVER get CLEAN unless its ear bleeding loud 100W)

Back