Fender Amplifiers

I've had a Fender Deluxe (tube) for about 4 years. It's only one 12 inch speaker, but I'm pretty happy with the quality vs. price ($500 new). The tone on the clean channel is OK at "practice" levels, but once you turn it up, the tubes really sound great. I also like the distortion channel, bet I tend to keep the distortion pretty low, so I can't vouch for heavy distortion, but it doesn't sound like you are that interested in it anyway. The Devilles are in the same "hot rod" product line, but more in your price-range, and I would bet their tone could only be better.

(also the knobs go up to 12, take THAT spinal tap. :cool: )

The Ultimate chorus would be a great step up form a Princeton chorus. The Ultimate is (or at least is supposed to be) a true stereo amp, 65 watts per side, has 12 inch speakers while a princeton has 10s. The controls are the same on both. I also use a Princeton chorus, slightly modified so that I am pushing 4 10 inch speakers instead of 2. I love the sound but like you, I wish it had more power to deliver a little more punch, any way it's a kicking little amp for general purpose use in the studio.

Maybe you just need an older Princeton Chorus...mine is an older one (I bought it used in the late 80's) w/ red knobs, which according to a previous post indicates pre-86. It's something like 110 Watts, which I believe is way more power than the newer ones.

It has been a great amp, too. Very clean and transparent. Sounds great with a Strat plugged right in. (I run it w/ an fx rack, which sounds great too)

It does lack the "warmth" of a tube amp though, but hey, if you like that sound, it's great.

leroyleroux said:
What would you sell it for (edit...meaning how much, not why)? I have a JC-120 that I use as a fiddle amp, but would much rather have the 77.
I'm thinking about 350
I still need to wait until my ampeg that I ordered off ebay arrives and make sure it's the "right" amp before I unload the JC. So Probably two weeks maybe a little less.

Jfrog is right, the new Princeton chorus is 12 1/2 watts per side while the older ones (like his and mine) are 65 watts per side which is what the Ultimate Chorus has, speaker size is the only real difference.

Also in my current amp hunt I came across several Ampeg SS series. I believe it stands for Solid State. Anyhoo there are a few in this line from the 80's and 90's that have built in stereo chorus. Now I did'nt hear the Chorus on the amp because I'm not a big Chorus guy but these amps really kicked some ASS, big huge CLEAN sound. Not the sound I was looking for ( I'm looking for a different big huge sound :D ) but a really nice series of amps nonetheless. I suggest you try and locate one locally and check it out. They go for fairly cheap (under $300).

I have a Princeton stereo chorus 2x10 and a Blues junior.I also have a friend with a Hot rod DeVille.The Princeton has a completely different sound to my ears.
Even though the Princeton is solidstate it's a great sounding amp.The chorus is analog and has aways been a favorite of mine.I'm not too crazy about the distortion.
Sounds to me like a Roland Jazz chorus amp would fit the bill perfectly for you.

savageblues said:
Ditto what AGCurry said.

Go with a 50W fender Tube combo-amp and never look back.

Silverface (late 60's through 70's):
Vibrolux Reverb (getting a bit pricey 2x10")
Pro Reverb (still can be had decent price 2x12")
Super Reverb (loudest/heaviest 50W Fender 4x10")
Twin Reverb (you'll only EVER get CLEAN unless its ear bleeding loud 100W)

Yes, yes, and yes.

LL

Back