Favorite Rhythm Guitar Tones?

famous beagle

Notice that the thread is called "favorite" and not "best." Just list some RHYTHM guitar tones that get you salivating. Be as specific as you'd like.

I'll start off with:

Rich Robinson with the Black Crowes (especially on Southern Harmony and Musical Companion)

Keith Richards (esp. on "Tumblin' Dice")

The guy from Coldplay (don't know his name, and besides the fact that a lot of his "rhythm stuff" is kind of "lead-rhythm" stuff)

Radiohead (on "Airbag")

Early Kinks, CCR, some Red Hot Chili Peppers, some Pretenders, lots of Beatles

Last edited:
i don't know if i would want to emulate his sound, but every sound (rythym or lead) brian may uses is just perfect for the song he's playing. he's definitely my favorite guitar player to listen to.

Ry Cooder, David Wilcox (the Canadian blues rocker) Jimmy Page, David Hidalgo and whoever that guy in 'Free' was that played "Alright Now".

I still sometimes get a chill when I hear the openings to "Cant you hear me knockin" and "Sway".

In agreement with Rich Robinson too...

Dave Gilmour, with the Gretsch Duo Jet as seen/heard on the latest DVD from the Royal Albert Hall. The tones he gets outta that Taylor 712ce are amazing too! Of course his rack must be worth tens of thousands...

Whoops, I was thinking solos

savageblues said:
I still sometimes get a chill when I hear the openings to "Cant you hear me knockin" and "Sway".

In agreement with Rich Robinson too...

"sway" has one of my favorite intro's ever.

All the above

Angus and Malcolm Young come to mind as well as many mentioned above. Glimour is still one of my all time favorites for rhythm tones.

Also-
Morello of Rage Against the Machine (especially that Tony Iommi-based riff sound)
Deleo of Stone Temple Pilots
Cantrell of Alice In Chains

... and of course the late great Randy Rhoades.

Freddie Green, longtime Count Basie guitarist.

Eldon Shamblin, of the Texas Playboys.

The rhythm guitar in the Hot Club of Paris recordings (Django Reinhardt + Stephane Grappelli).

Grace

Jeff Buckley on the Grace album. Chimey, thick, and it had a depth to it that I still can't replicate. (ex. "Last Goodbye") On the acoustic front, Sean Watkins of Nickelcreek covers rhythm with perfect time and what I would consider the ideal "there but not imposing" tone.

Danny

RezN8 said:
Deleo of Stone Temple Pilots
Cantrell of Alice In Chains

... and of course the late great Randy Rhoades.

Yes!

I would add:

311 on the Sound System album.
Derek Frigo on the first three Enuff Z'Nuff albums.
Waylon Jennings!

Back