Favorite guitarist....feedback

G-String

O.K. guys, just wanna get some insight and maybe get turned on to some new music. What are your favorite guitar players and why? Favorite styles of music? Mine range from Clapton to Knopfler, Atkins, Parkening (excellent classical musician), to Buddy Guy, Robert Cray, and Larry Carlton. Vince Gill has been rising to the top of my list recently, since I saw him perform. Astounding guitar player.

I'm pretty hot on Nick Drake right now. Good songwriter and deceptively simple guitar player. Mississippi John Hurt has long been a favorite. Sounds easy till you try to play it. If you are into Chet it should be pretty easy, though.
Adrian Belew
Danny Gatton
the guy from Bebop Deluxe
Bob Mould from Husker Du (I don't know how to put those little umlauts in :) )
George Benson- the pressure cooker album has some of the most ripping jazz/bop guitar you have ever heard.
Plus a hundred million others.

Listen to Rick Whitehead. Live in Captivity Again. He will blow your mind. He is sort of local, he teaches at Shenandoah University in my town, but you can still buy his album on Amazon.

I have a few guitar heroes that are unlikely bedfellows. They seem to fall into 2 categories, Blues based and progressive.

Roy Buchanan is an absolutely killer blues player!! If you like Buddy Guy (like I do) check out Roy.

I also dig Albert Collins and his twangy high pitched lead work.

Then there is one of my absolute biggest influences, Alex Lifeson of Rush. He lives in the shadow of Geddy and Neil, but his body of work is incredible. Listen to Rush and focus on the guitar tracks. He does some great stuff!!

Joe Satriani is always fun to listen to.

And then theres Carlos Santana. Not the stuff you hear on the radio, but whats deeper into his catalog of work is really cool!!

Hey, thanks everybody. I don't really get out much anymore and although I have A fairly nice collection of music, I want to hear something new.You all have given me some other alternatives. The radio just sucks anymore.

Big Sugar is a great modern blues group, headed by Gordie Johnson. Check'em out if you haven't had the pleasure yet. Great song writing.

And if you can fing it, you need John Mayal "Jazz Blues fusion". Freddy Robinson is the guitar player...really amazing.

Favorite Guitarists

Well, that's no small list, lemme tell ya!!!

James Hetfield (Metallica)
Kirk Hammett (Metallica)
Kerry King (Slayer)
Jeff Hanneman (Slayer)
Al Jourgensen (Ministry)
Brody Dalle (The Distillers)
Jerry Cantrell (Alice In Chains)
Stephen Carpenter (The Deftones)
Dave Grohl (The Foo Fighters)
Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day)
Slash (Guns-N-Roses)
Peter Buck (R.E.M.)
Tim Armstrong (Operation Ivy/Rancid)
John Frusciante (The Red Hot Chili Peppers)
Mike Ness (Social Distortion)
Gordon Gano (The Violent Femmes)
Ernie C. (Body Count)
Johnny Cash
Willie Nelson
Chris Isaak
Dave Matthews
Adam Jones (Tool)
Tom Morello (Rage Against The Machine/Audioslave)
Rich Robinson (The Black Crows)
Frank Black

Sooooooooooooooo many more, soooooo little thread space!!!! :cool:

I'm trying to get into some slide guitar playing, does anyone have any recommendations of who to listen to? i'm looking for blues, definitely not country.

G-String said:
O.K. guys, just wanna get some insight and maybe get turned on to some new music. What are your favorite guitar players and why? Favorite styles of music? Mine range from Clapton to Knopfler, Atkins, Parkening (excellent classical musician), to Buddy Guy, Robert Cray, and Larry Carlton. Vince Gill has been rising to the top of my list recently, since I saw him perform. Astounding guitar player.

all of these guys except for chet and knopfler and thother guy are on the Crossroads music festival dvd it's a good buy and there are tons of other great guitarists on it ...
for my personal taste i have been into a lot of tele players here lately for a breath of fresh air try the new Johnny Hiland ...if you want some old stuff to get into try anything by Clarence White especially Nashville West and the later Byrds albums i.e Dr. Byrds and Mr. Hyde all the way up to Farther along he is where a lot of modern tele players draw their influences from

mule....

ibanezrocks said:
I'm trying to get into some slide guitar playing, does anyone have any recommendations of who to listen to? i'm looking for blues, definitely not country.

Warren Haynes...nuff said

Blues and slide, hmmmm a couple come to mind, Gary Rossington (not just his Skynyrd stuff) and drag out those old Allman Bros albums, way back when they really were two brothers in the band. Another you might check out is Johnny Winter, yeah I know he's old but damn he's good. But for the ultimate slide, look up Ry Coder.

Some fingerstyle masters:

Leo Kottke
Harvey Reid
Alex Degrassi
Doyle Dykes
Pierre Bensusan
Rick Ruskin

Aahh, Tooshay!!!!

-=¤willhaven¤=- said:
that guy is a total dildo. some friends of mine recorded under him and i hear that he is basically a money-grubbing lying sleeze.
Well, I ONLY listed him as a favorite source of guitar sounds, I didn't say he was an all-around great guy!!! :cool:

Back