Fast Fret

Ree Fungorio

Any of y'all know if this product can be harmful to the fretboard at all?

I use it to clean my strings and fretboard and it brightens my tone back up nicely 'tween changes. I'm just curious if there is any risk of buildup on the fretboard.

Thanks
Ree

Wellllllllll what is it? hehehe
If it's an alcohol-based product, it should be okay....alcohol is the best thing to use to take grime & grease off of your fretboard and strings because it evaporates quickly....don't use an oil-based product cuz it'll cause buildup...and only use alcohol on the fretboard cuz it'll wear away at the paint...

2Brut cologne works well to take grime out of strings...i used to use it, but it made my bass stink for a long long time hehehe

I'm guessing that it's alcohol based because it 'vaporates rather quickly...yet it does have a slightly oily feel for a bit. Funny, it kind of smells like Brut. Mixed with Pledge. The only warning: "External Use Only". Good thing i saw that before I licked it.

Do you know what is the finish on the Fender maple necks? maybe the Fender site has some info but I ain't looked yet.

Thanks for the input

Ree

PS Ya think Stolichnaya would work? Plenty spills on my guitar between the neck joint and the pickup, maybe I could spread it around with a chamois....

You should be OK with the finger ease as long as you use it in moderation since your Strat has a maple finger board. If your guitar is a newer Fender('80s and up) the maple neck is finished with a clear acylic polyuethane. It's tough stuff. Be carful not to get the stuff on the body or pick guard. Don't use any type of string lube or cleaner on guitars with rosewood or ebony fretboards.
these chemicals will soak into the wood and cause the grain to seperate, making the fretboard look bleached and sometimes the grain will start peel, making the wood feel fuzy. Lightly clean rosewood and ebony fret boards with #0000 steel wool (no I'm not joking) This wil remove any grime and will also polish the frets. Remove the steel wool "dust" with a dry cloth then buff the fretboard to a low to medium sheen. Wipe you srtings with a soft clean cloth every time you finish playing and you realy shouldn't need any type of string cleaner/lube at all.

Back