is this a fair price for a strat?

patlang12

I went to guitar center today. They had a used strat that sounded great. It is an American Standard. I took the serial number and found out that it was made during 1993-1994. The price was $799. Is this a fair price? I know I won't get rock bottom price on used stuff there because there is always the person who is selling something really cheap, but is the price at least fair? It is in good condition except that one of the tone knobs sort of sticks and can be hard to turn at times. That should be an easy repair though, right? So basically I just want to know if that is a fair price to pay for that guitar. I was thinking about going to pick it up tommarrow if the price is right so the sooner you guys can answer the better. Thanks a lot!!

I am guessing that the price is more than it was new. A new 2005 Am Stand. is about $950. So you are saving a little. I also think highly of the new Fender guitars made now too. I bought a new Am Standard in 1988 for about $350.

I'm no expert on strats, that does seem like a little much though. My one piece of advice is see if they'd be willing to replace the tone pot for free when you buy it, they really should, or if you'd rather do it yourself make sure you ask for something for free when you buy a guitar, like a strap, cable or gigbag.

I checked again and it is actually a 1998 or 1999 guitar. I have been doing some research and it seems that there are a bunch of different models of American strats. I played a new strat that was (I think) on sale for $629 and this used one sounded a fair amount better than it. I really like this guitar so I am thinking about just going and getting it. I am trying to find something that will help me try to bargain the price down. If I provided the serial number does anybody think they could get a better idea on what it is? I am pretty sure it said American Standard on the tag.

I've never had a problem bargaining with the guys at Guitar Center. Flash 'em 650 bucks, and act indifferent. That guitar will so be yours.

Yeah I have bargined with them too. What if I want to pay credit though? I think it can be a little harder to bargin with credit, but the bank will be closed and I think I might try to get it tommarrow.

The most important thing is wether you are happy with the instrument and the price. Regardless of what everyone else thinks, it's your money, you have to be happy.
I have an '86 MIA standard strat and it has a beautiful action and has been a real workhorse and reliable, replacing pots is minor.

Hey, credit is cash to them, don't let them tell you any different. They get their money immediatly, they don't get payments.

i would get it, if you say you can really hear a differance between that one and the newer ones. as long as you like the way it sounds then why the hell not. everyone has their different tone and maybe this guitar has the tone that you like the most

hope this helped something :D

A good price on a used American Standard is 525-600 dollars. You can find them very often for this on the fdp or harmony central. I look ALOT. Anything over $650 is too much. You can get nicer models like the Lone Star or Roadhouse for $700 and deluxe models for $700-850.

H2H

i've NEVER pd sticker price at GC...cash, credit, or trade. I would rather get an older strat that was a plyer than a new one that wasnt.

"Whats the best you can do on this? I REALLY want it, but its a little out of my budgett, could you ask the Mgr. if theres any wiggle room in the price?"

They'll prolly offer you some crap add-ons(cables, picks, strings, strap, case etc.) instead of a discount at first, but stand firm on the cash.

Flamin Lip said:
"Whats the best you can do on this? I REALLY want it, but its a little out of my budgett, could you ask the Mgr. if theres any wiggle room in the price?"

They'll prolly offer you some crap add-ons(cables, picks, strings, strap, case etc.) instead of a discount at first, but stand firm on the cash.
All right. Do you think saying that I saw them for a fair amount less on the internet will help me. Also if I show them that guitar center auction do you think that will help get the price lower?

$799 is way too high for a used American Standard. If you really like the guitar I would go back and make them an offer of $600 and get them to throw in a case. I've gotten some great deals on used guitars at GC. For instance two year old Fender American Deluxe Tele in excellent shape for $800 with the case. It was marked $1000 without case.

I don't really need a case. I have found some things online that I think will help me get a better deal. I think I will start by asking about $600 without a case and work from there. I don't know, maybe I will look at some other guitars first.

Buying new gear...its always best to print out a price quote from an etailer for GC to match. But used, its not gonna help alot. Also, dont quible over a few bucks if the guit. speaks to ya.

One more suggestion. Go in to GC at the end of the month. The salesmen work on commision, and they like to get those last few sales in at the end of the month ( I mean like the LAST day of the month ) to increase thier commision check...so..they tend to be a little more willing to come down on the price. Of course, in your case someone else might buy the guitar between now and the end of the month. Man, with as many guitars as they have at GC it seems as though for 800$ you could get something that wasn't damaged! Whats so special about this perticular strat? Just a thought.

Hard2Hear said:
A good price on a used American Standard is 525-600 dollars. You can find them very often for this on the fdp or harmony central. I look ALOT.

Unless it was near-mint, with no fretwear, or a premium body/finish, that would be a little high even for retail (for a bargaining man!), but I'm sure that a lot of beat ones are going for $700+ somewhere.

Guitar Center blew out the last American Standard Telecasters and Stratocasters nationwide in 2001 for $429.99 (I got an ash-bodied Telecaster w/OHSC for that).

[Typically, my ONE THOUSANDTH post is telling someone to fight harder on a price! :p]

Ok I went back there today and the guy told me the reason the price is high is because the guitar has an ash body with a clear wood finish. He told me that can add about $100 to $150 on to the price. Is that really true? I didn't think it adds that much to it. I played another used American Standard there that had an alder body that did not sound as good. I think the one I liked might have upgraded tuners on it as well so... I even tried one of those new American strats that goes for around for $900 and I thought that it didn't sound as good either He said that he could only knock 20 or 30 bucks of the price because it was used. He told me that if a used guitar has been there for 6 months then they can bargin on it more, but this one has only been there for about a month. (I know this because they have to wait 30 days to sell it in case they find out it is stolen and that time is just about up) I am thinking about just saying what the hell and just buy it even if I am getting ripped off because I think it sounds a lot better. I think I will try to some other ones, but I think this guitar is the one...

Back