Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: emg vs. seymour duncan?

Thanks

emg vs. seymour duncan?

Sign in to disable this ad
    how does the emg-81 and the seymour duncan JB compare? im particularly interested in the sustain that they can give. any comments or suggestions on the two? i play mostly rock and "punk" and will be putting them into an epiphone les paul standard. thanks

Thanks

Wink Had both

I always felt the EMG lacked a certain warmth. It is a very quite PU when not playing however. I still have the DG-20 David Gilmour set in my Strat. I had the ZW, 81 & 85 set in a custom Les Paul that I built, but swapped them out for Duncans. For what type of music you described the Duncan would suit you better IMO...

Thanks
    how bout sustain wise, which one has more?

Creating saw dust at rapidly increasing levels
    Thanks
    Pickups don't really have all that much to do with sustain. That is more of a factor of the wood and the hardware involved. The adjustment of the pickups can make a difference in the sustain, because if they are too close they can suck the energy out of the string, but that will happen with any pickup.

For myself, I always find EMGs to be really stale and sterile. They are very clean, and there is no question they are the quietest pickups you will find, but I just always find that they have no character, no personality. The JB has character to burn, and is the pickup I would choose. The additional benefit of the Duncan is that you don't have to replace both of them at the same time. The EMGs will not work with other pickups, as their impenitence is much lower.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
    M.K. Gandhi

Thanks

Thumbs up

I recently put a Duncan JB-4 and a SH-2 in my G & L F100.

The tone is like butta, baby!

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

I agree with the "sterile" comment about the EMG 81's. They have no personality at all.

Thanks
    I just put a JB in my Les paul, and it fuckin' rules.

Thanks
    Both are good pickups, but I like the 81 more (at least for metal)
    peace out, musician

Thanks
    ^^^^^I've heard that before. I'm not really so into metal, so he's probably right.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Light
    Pickups don't really have all that much to do with sustain. That is more of a factor of the wood and the hardware involved. The adjustment of the pickups can make a difference in the sustain, because if they are too close they can suck the energy out of the string, but that will happen with any pickup.

For myself, I always find EMGs to be really stale and sterile. They are very clean, and there is no question they are the quietest pickups you will find, but I just always find that they have no character, no personality. The JB has character to burn, and is the pickup I would choose. The additional benefit of the Duncan is that you don't have to replace both of them at the same time. The EMGs will not work with other pickups, as their impenitence is much lower.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
    M.K. Gandhi
    I have a set of the original EMG Strat pickups. They have loads of personality and sound exactly like "strat" sounds. I got them in 1984. The new EMGs, however, don't sound like the old ones at all.

Thanks

Couldn't disagree more

Originally posted by acorec
    I have a set of the original EMG Strat pickups. They have loads of personality and sound exactly like "strat" sounds. I got them in 1984. The new EMGs, however, don't sound like the old ones at all.
    The pickups I have in my strat are the EMG DG-20 David Gilmour set and they sound fantastic. I only purchased these last year so they are failry new. As far as the EMG 81 in the bridge position on a LP, it definetly lacks something IMO. It's not fair to lump all EMG PU models into one general statement.

Thread Information