Electric guitar strings

OhSh1rt

Who needs a 57 anyway?
What do you use? What style of music? What size?

go go go.

edit:

For me: D'Addario 10's for practice, Ernie Ball 10's for gigs

I love the feel/sound of ernie ball's but they break to easy. I've tried thicker strings but my locking tuners don't seem to hold on to well to 13's

-jeffrey

I have been using Darco's and Dean Markley's for years they work well for me.

I also used to use DiAngelica Electric Gold Flat wounds ... I don't think that they make them any more ... these were the best flats I ever used.

ghs boomers, 10-46, strat. blues / rock / folk........some where in there. love the sound, hate the breakage. my bend/slide ratio is 90/10. slinkies and d'addario's snap much quicker for me. maybe time to try bullets again but they sound alot different than the boomers.

Last edited:
GHS 10-48. Absolutely the best strings, overall, that I've ever used. I'm a string breaker (heavy left hand). The Boomers last longer than any other string I've ever used and I've been through them all. When you're playing out a lot, nothing will piss you off more than chronic string breakage. The Fender Bullits were by far the worst strings I've ever used (sorry faderbug :o ). It seemed I could just give them a dirty look and they'd snap.

Track Rat said:
GHS 10-48. Absolutely the best strings, overall, that I've ever used. I'm a string breaker (heavy left hand). The Boomers last longer than any other string I've ever used and I've been through them all. When you're playing out a lot, nothing will piss you off more than chronic string breakage. The Fender Bullits were by far the worst strings I've ever used (sorry faderbug :o ). It seemed I could just give them a dirty look and they'd snap.

I'm glad someone is on the same page with me on the string breaking thing. I listened to too much SRV when I was younger and as a result my hands think they have to push strings until my fingers are in my eye. :D

now i always use fender bullets, used to use roto pinks - might try them again for old time sake. Fender bullets last ages with me & i use strange tunings?

ernie ball power slinkys. blues and alt-rock/punk. Until recently I wasn't aware they made anything heavier, next time I change strings I'll go up to not even slinkys. I found heavier strings to have a smaller oscilation and can get my action lower without buzzing.

Also thats strange man, the locking tuners on my strat and mustang never had a probelm with thicker ernies, well I guess I've only gone to 11 so far :cool: .

D'Addario 10's for recording. Elixir 10's for just general. I don't like the tone of the Elixirs very well, but they last much longer than the D'Addarios.

i used to use DR 10s, but then i was like damn this is emptying my wallet. then i bought a 10 pack of slinkys for 30 bucks.. the best thing about DR's though is that u dont have to strech them and they stay in perfect tune. i'd get DRs all the time if money wasnt an issue.

oh, i tried to put d'addario 13-56 on my gibson sg and it sounded like vomit. i thought it would just be much bassier, but it was to the extreme.. clean sounded decent, but distortion...

now i just get slinky 10s and im content

Big ole heavy shit, tuned to Low B....have no idea what size really, but I think they are Ernie Ball. :confused:

I have used 10-46 gauge for years now...I think since about 1974. Ernie Ball slinkies were my brand for a long time, now Darco or whatever I can get in bulk for a low price. When I have tried thinner I have regretted it, my hands would overstretch when bending strings, I need the string to fight back a little as I stretch it!

Ernie Ball slinky, different gauges for different guitars. I like Extra and Regular mostly though.

For acoustic I use Takamine Lights on my Yamaha.

For recording and gigs I use Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 10-46 for practicing or doing more jazzy or blues type stuff ill use Power Slinky 11-48. I just like the heavier strings for building up strength in my fingers then when i switch back to 10's i just feel like im playing on air. :-)

On my Gibsons I play Dean Markley Med Nickle Steels (11-52)

On my strat, hollowbody and old Peavey I play D'Adario or Balls. (10's)

I use this for rock, country, and anything else.

I use green slinkies, too (10-46) and break them, especially D strings. I play your basic rock and roll/rockabilly.

What strings don't break as easily? I had a box of D'Addarios and I never noticed a difference, but hated the packaging. Give me one envelope per string please.

Back