Easy Mod for older 9v battery power only pedals

maestro_dmc

Uses Paramedic EQ
Here's a minor project if you have old Battery power only pedals, and you're sick of changing batteries, and unplugging stuff on your pedalboard all the time. My apologies if this has been covered before, or if it's old news, but maybe someone can benefit.

You need:
One 9v dc "Wall Wart" 200-300ma
One 9v Battery Clip (Sold in packs of 3 at Rat Shack)
Soldering Iron and all supplies for it
Metal File

A friend of mine picked up an old MXR Phase90 from 70's or 80's which you had to unscrew the bottom to put in a battery, and it had nowhere to plug in a wall wart. I suggested we wire it up for an adapter, he said heck yeah!

To make it as reversable as possible I left the leads attached to the 9v clip inside.

Then soldered the NEW 9v clip to the stripped leads of the wall wart, wrapped that off carefully with electrical tape, to prevent shorts.

Next, filed a small square groove in the casing for the cord to pass through.(this isn't reversable, so at your own risk of course!)

Just hooked up the adapter where the 9v battery used to be, shut the case and it's done.

That's basically it, but make sure you test to get the polarity right or it won't work.

Last edited:
Back