Dynamics?

geet73

OMG!
Hey.. do any of you have and any suggestions for a pedal or something that can make an amps output louder? Besides physically turning up the amp of course.

In my band's songs, we have parts that we want to make much more explosive.. I figure a boost in volume will do the job.

I suppose we could use a volume pedal slightly turned down except for the parts we want to be loud.. but eh. If the incoming signal is boosted in volume, is it going to output at a higher volume? Or just have more gain?

Hopefully you guys can help me.

Oh yeah, I'm using a 5150. He's using whatever he can get his hands on. A Peavey Ultra might be on the way.

EDIT: By gain, I mean the preamp gain, or distortion.

A great technique if you can get it down is to turn the volume knob down (on your guitar) and then up for the explosion.

jonhall5446 said:
He would but he'll be too busy trying look like the cool soundman

Then fire him and get someone who will do the job. No soundman can be cool if the band sounds like shit. :eek:

Fulltone Fulldrive2, MXR Micro Amp, MXR 10band EQ...there's lots of things that will boost your signal in a nice way, these 3 have been my personal choice, with the FD2 the best and my current one. Any kind of good signal boost will work for you. All those listed are pretty transparent to your guitar sound, but you will overdrive the front end with any of them (and that's kind of the point) so you have to play around and use what works best for you.

Boosting the incoming signal will increase volume, but will always increase gain, and cause your amp to overdrive more easily, or more on top of what you have already. What you're talking about isn't the soundguys job, it's in the way you set up your guitar rig.

H2H

I don't usually play with sound guys.. so yea. It would be my job. Heh.

I wasn't sure if something like that would boost the overall volume or just how much gain is on it.

Turning down the volume of the guitar won't do much unless I'm playing clean.

For now.. I'll just try to set something up on my RP100 to do it. Thanks for the help.

Back