Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dual Purpose Guitar:

Thanks

Dual Purpose Guitar:

Sign in to disable this ad
    I have played the Explorer style guitars for many years now. I have really grown to love the sound produced by the huge slab of mahogany. Currently, I play a Hamer Standard with PAFs. It has a great sound and a nice, thick neck that plays very comfortably.

I also have an old Stratocaster that I use for Hendrix covers and any other song where a bright single coil sound is warranted.

I must admit, the Strat feels very balanced and I have long wanted to create a guitar that would do both. Sound like a Fender and a Gibson at the same time.

However, I have noticed that Strats never truly capture that big, roomy Gibson sound. Most of the Fender Fat Strats I have played just sound muddy.

Do you think this is attributed more to the pickups? Or, the type of wood used in the construction of the body?

I am presently working on the following buildup: It is based on an old Charvel Stratocaster (Alder) with a 1-11/16" reverse headstock neck. It will have a Carvin M-22SD in the bridge position, wired with push-pull pots for double and single coil switching.

The center and neck pickups are Tom Anderson Vintage Stacked Single Coils also wired for coil splitting. The stock 5-way switch gives standard Stratocaster pickup configurations.

What I like about the Carvin M-22SD is the 22 pole pieces and its high frequency response. I considered a Covered PAF or Duncan SH-4-JB, but felt they might sound a bit too thick in the Strat body.

What has your experience been with installing double coils in a Stratocaster style body???

I appreciate your input on this subject...Bert

Thanks
    …about a yr ago I put an 80s model dimarzio dbl-coil in the bridge pos. of a US-made charvel/jackson…now it rocks, especially at high amp-output...I'm very pleased the tone--not exactly like a gibson w/humbucking, but still deep and full.

http://www.dimarzio.com/f_pickups.html --if you have any wiring concerns.

Thanks

Re: Dual Purpose Guitar:

Originally posted by Mr. Bert
    However, I have noticed that Strats never truly capture that big, roomy Gibson sound.

Thats why you get a Tele.

Thanks
    I cannot answer your question directly however I would suggest you get out to play a G&L legacy special. They have three hot rails in a strat config and you can get them wired with a pull pot on the tone knob that allows for up to 7 pick up choices.

Really a nice playing guitar.

Might make sense to check and ASAT too. I have one and it weights about as much as my buick and has sound for days.

Thanks
    If you put humbuckers in a thin body about the weight of a Strat, what you get is an SG or a Les Paul Studio. For versatility, I did this. I replaced the Classic 57 humbuckers in my SG with Seymour Duncans, an SH-4 and an SH-14, with coil taps. The tone pots are replaced by push/pull pots, and you have to go to deeper knobs. Click-it's a Gibson SG. Click- it's a Telecaster. Click- it's a hybrid Strat.-Richie

Thanks
    Originally posted by Richard Monroe
    If you put humbuckers in a thin body about the weight of a Strat, what you get is an SG or a Les Paul Studio. For versatility, I did this. I replaced the Classic 57 humbuckers in my SG with Seymour Duncans, an SH-4 and an SH-14, with coil taps. The tone pots are replaced by push/pull pots, and you have to go to deeper knobs. Click-it's a Gibson SG. Click- it's a Telecaster. Click- it's a hybrid Strat.-Richie
    Wow..........

That would feel weird. I think. Getting a thin sound out of a Gibson. I mean, there is just so much power waiting to be unleashed when you play one unplugged...then to plug it in and get a single coil sound, I mean, come on...just seems like sacrilege to me.

Thanks
    Well, Outlaws, it may seem like sacrilege, but it solves a bunch of problems. First, I love the sound of a Tele, but my hands don't get along well with Fender necks. Secondly, I could only afford one high end solid body. Thirdly, it allows for instant changes in a live situation. I think my axe does exactly what the original poster is looking for.-Richie

Thanks
    Richard, I think you have the idea I was looking for. A way to switch sounds during a live performance. Nice...Bert

Thanks
    For a picture of the axe in question, check the pictures off the project page of my website- www.bardwire.com-Richie

Thanks
    I play a strat, and when I want a Gibson sound I run it thru a wah wah pedal and find a position on the wah that gives me that squaking les paul tone. It's good enough for me.

Thread Information