Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dual Purpose Guitar:

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    i actually went through what you're going through and came up with the following solution:

A 22-fret maple w/ebony fret board, 4-bolt neck.

2 coil-split Seymour Duncan humbuckers with a Seymour Duncan single coil in between them set up like this:

Neck Duncan Custom Alnico II Vintage Duncan Mag Bridge

I tried to go with a neck-through on a previous guitar and it just doesn't get the Strat 'in-between' tone.

It was wired by a guy who knew what he was doing with a master Gibson/Fender switch - and then the standard switching/wiring for both those manufacturers - so I could pre-set my 'Gibson lead' selection (eg bridge humbucker) while playing my 'Fender rhythm' sound and switch between the two with one switch.

Got great sounds from front single-coil (Tele/Strat SRV solo)) to front 'bucker (Chunky clean rhythm and nice round jazzy solo) to middle sinlge and bridge single coil (Knopfler) and ballsy bridge 'bucker.

worked great.

Thanks
    Dim,

I see your point about your use of a Wah to give you a different sound, but I am very basic in my approach to effects and equipment. I don't like to 'color' or otherwise alter the sound of my guitars, except for certain cover songs.

I haven't changed my amp settings in 5 years or more and I still have every effect I ever purchased, dating all the way back to 1984. I have a DOD FX 90 Analog Delay, a Boss NS-2 Noise Gate, Boss Chorus and an old Arion Metal Master someone gave to me that I have never used. For volume control I use an old Ernie Ball Volume Pedal.

I don't reset my amp for different guitars, I let the instrument's color come through. On my Marshall, the boost channel is tuned for the Hamer with PAF's.

The gain is set at about 3 o'clock, the bass at 4 o'clock, the contour is at 1 o'clock and treble is all the way up. The sound is a grinding, heavy tone that still has a sharp edge on the top end.

The clean channel is set up for my single coil Stratocaster, but it sounds beautiful when I play the Hamer through it. I sometimes use a little chorus, but again, it depends on the song.

I consider myself a decent (technical) musician, but I place my greatest emphasis on sound quality. People will sometimes compliment me on my live sound, but I think it is more due to the simplicity of my equipment than anything else.

My setup is so quiet it is unreal. I can play at high volume levels without feedback or hissing. Some of the guys I have played with have a myriad of effects and the sound between sets is like bacon frying. Heaven help them if they take their hands off the instrument to adjust a mike stand.

I prefer a natural tone that allows the instrument's personality to be heard. It is just a matter of personal taste.

Foo,

I really like your approach and I think you know what I am looking for. My goal is to find a pickup that (in the Strat body) will give me the sound of a covered PAF with a distinct high-end snarl.

I have huge hands. I wear a size 12 glove and measure 8" from the heel of my palm to the tip of my middle finger, so I love wider necks. I have been thinking about trying a Warmoth Super-Wide Neck and was concerned about string spacing and my choice of a pickup.

The 22 pole pieces on the Carvin M-22 seem like a good idea and allows for string-to-string balance across the spectrum of sound, but it may not be a factor at the bridge.

I am tossed up between the Duncan SH-4 JB and the M-22 SD pickups. Both great pickups, but it is hard to imagine how they will sound when they are in the guitar.

I appreciate everyone who posted to this thread and I would love to hear your opinions and ideas on the choice of pickups...Bert

Thanks
    Out of the "box", the Ernie Ball Musicman Steve Morse guitar is very versatile in it's tonal options:

http://www.ernieball.com/mmonline/sp...tevemorse.html
    *My Karma ran over my Dogma!*

Thread Information