Dual Humbucker Semi-hollow body or Hollow Body for Controlled Feedback & Rhythm

mrplow

Been looking for semi-hollow body or hollow body recommendations for that late-60s early-70s proto-punk rhythm guitar sound w/occasional controlled feedback squalls. Have seen the Ibanez Artcore recommended, and I like the size (compared to a Gretsch, for example) but is there something a bit nicer for a bit more money? Am looking at spending ~$1200. Perhaps a Rick, Gibson ES-335TD, or a Heritage? I am also curious as to whether the feedback on a semi-hollow is much harder to produce than with a hollow body- I live in a house with 5 roommates, so I can't crank the volume up too high. Thanks,

-Ron

I have played live with both solid-bodied humbucker-equipped guitars and hollow-bodied humbucker guitars (as well as a Gretch White Falcon that I used for a while).

I find that solid-bodied guitars offer more predictable and controllable feedback between the strings and pickups, with no effect from a body cavity.

Hollow-bodies, on the other hand, can generate unpredictable feedback when the body cavity starts to resonate, and it's not what I consider a pleasant sound - more like a microphonic feedback than string feedback.

I've never used semi-hollows so they may offer a compromise between the two.

Back