DIY Guitar Extension Cabinet Tech Questions

_brian_

Hi everyone,

I don't have the most money in the world so I've decided to build my own speaker cabinet.

The whole point of this is to start me on the way to having more variety of sounds from the limited equipment I have and to future proof it so to speak.

I only have a Vox AC15 amp, and a little Mesa Boogie Subway rocket.

I am going to build a 4x12" speaker cabinet, and at the moment I have a separate Celestion Creamback 75W to dump into it. My plan was to remove the speaker from my AC15 and stick it next to the creamback in my new cabinet and have a selector switch so I can click between them all.

The general setup idea is to have my studio being in a converted garage with the speakerless AC15 and Subway Rocket in that garage with cables running upstairs to a bedroom with the speaker cabinet, microphones and sound treatment.

I can then control the sound from downstairs and hear exactly what I'm recording instead of the recorded signal and local guitar amp sound.

*Will I do any damage to the amplifiers if I ONLY have an external speaker connected to them? (I do know you must match up impedance)

*Would you damage the amplifiers if you were to switch between speakers on the fly - even if they're the correct impedance etc? I am going to use a 4 position double pole rotary switch for this.

*Which two other speakers would you think would be a good addition to this setup? I like cleans most, but do like experimental sounds with the occasional more heavy distorted or dirty sound. I am heavily influenced by guitarists like Johnny Marr, but I really do have my own sound now.

I know it's not a usual setup, however I can't have a isolated room for recording guitar with me being in it, I have to work fast next to the computer and hear exactly what's being recorded.

Thanks in advance :)

Just as an option, you may be able to close mic the cab in the garage if sufficiently covered and dampened with heavy blankets.

Example : Putting a blanket over your amp/mic

I've done that in the past but it's never reduced the level significantly enough, the garage isn't really big enough with drums in there as well.

I was looking into building a small isolation booth but that was going to cost too much and take up too much space, then I thought about making a isolation box with the speaker and mic housed, but a lot of people don't seem to like the sound from that type of set up.

I don't want the sound being completely dead so I think this is the best solution especially since the room isn't really being used for anything else.

Back