Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DIY Guitar Case Rack

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by dwillis45 View Post
    Everything I have basically stays in this case until it's played. I've never been much of a guitar display guy.
    Part of it is the nice display which is really a byproduct of my own wall-hanging intention...which was/is to maximize space use.
    The guitars occupy the little used wall area when hung, and it makes for easy access to any guitar I need...plus it does look great.

In hanging them...the cases became irrelevant, and are only needed if/when I take a guitar out of the studio. So that allowed me to just stash the cases in out of the places, like I mentioned above.
    See...when you have the guitars in the cases, you have to keep the cases out and all over the place, so then you end up needing a rack for them.

I don't have any concerns about a guitar falling off the wall. If you hang them high enough, little kids or pets aren't even able to touch them, never mind to lift them up and off the hangers.

What I'm now looking for is a foldable, but nice 3-5 guitar rack for the floor, and one that can be also taken to gigs (hence the foldable requirement).
    I find that as I record, I'll often narrow it down to 3-4 guitars I'm going to use for a given bunch of tracks...and while they are easy to get at on the walls, I like the idea of having those three ready to go right there, by the amp I'm using.
    Plus, when you first take them down, same as when you take them out of a case, they usually need a tuning check, and then you don't want to mess with them.
    If I keep taking them down and hanging them back one at a time, that messes things up a bit...so then I end up with 3-4 guitars on your typical individual guitar stands all around the room.
    So it just seemed to make sense to have a single 3-5 guitar rack in one spot...and I can then get rid of the multiple metal stands.

I really like this style from K&M Stands, but it's a pricey bugger...this is their 3+1 stand with room for one acoustic, but they have also 3 and 5 guitar stands that will take either type of guitar.

K&M 17534 Guardian 3+1 Multi-guitar Stand - Black with Translucent Supports | Sweetwater

Thanks
    I like the closet and drawers crowd. I guess somebody thinks it's a good idea to record in a closet. So why not keep your guitars there, too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails droors-jpg   guitar-hanger-jpg  

Thanks
    Ah - now I get the angry wives bit - for all our married life, my 'junk' as she calls it has been relegated to my 'room', which when first married was the spare bedroom, and now in my studio, built at the rear of this house. I come home and find she has cleared up - which means everything she found laying around, is just put inside the door, right in the way, in a pile. She would absolutely think the storage rack for the storage items a good idea. Oddly, when she bought me a double bass for my birthday, this is allowed to stand in our living room - because it's made of wood and looks nice. Guitars, don't! I now have to carry the damn thing into the studio to use it, and then put it back in the house!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    Ah - now I get the angry wives bit - for all our married life, my 'junk' as she calls it has been relegated to my 'room', which when first married was the spare bedroom, and now in my studio, built at the rear of this house. I come home and find she has cleared up - which means everything she found laying around, is just put inside the door, right in the way, in a pile. She would absolutely think the storage rack for the storage items a good idea. Oddly, when she bought me a double bass for my birthday, this is allowed to stand in our living room - because it's made of wood and looks nice. Guitars, don't! I now have to carry the damn thing into the studio to use it, and then put it back in the house!!!
    I think you need more acoustic instruments made of wood. Especially, the expensive, vintage, finely-crafted ones that cost way too much money. You can store them neatly in your house near the bass. This will test your wife's patience and determine her limits. And, along the way, you can satisfy any outstanding guitar-related gear lust.

Thanks
    Now I'm getting on I'm getting worried that when I snuff it, my wife will sell my collection for what I told her I paid for them!

Thanks
    Now I'm getting on I'm getting worried that when I snuff it, my wife will sell my collection for what I told her I paid for them!
    Last year my wife went on Reverb to buy me a "dream" guitar. She wanted to surprise me for my 60th birthday. She was shocked and said, " I had no idea guitars cost so much money." I told her they didn't really and that most of mine cost less than a thousand dollars.

Thanks
    I like the closet and drawers crowd. I guess somebody thinks it's a good idea to record in a closet. So why not keep your guitars there, too.
    I couldn't hang my guitars in the closet. That's where my cases are. But I love the drawer idea!

Friends don't let friends mix drunk...
    You can lead a horse to water... but he has to put on his own scuba gear...
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous...
    I like the tempo but I don't like the beat. I give it a 6, Dick...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7string View Post
    I couldn't hang my guitars in the closet. That's where my cases are. But I love the drawer idea!
    I'm waiting for the day when I have to fall back on Home Depot wire shelling for all my guitars. Hard to believe it would ever come to that, though. I seem to sell them all every ten years or so.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails b3b27abbee047fc1a44ff6d7905efa41-jpg  

Thanks
    I'm waiting for the day when I have to fall back on Home Depot wire shelling for all my guitars. Hard to believe it would ever come to that, though. I seem to sell them all every ten years or so.
    I love how this guy has all the square polycarbonate cases on top, all the square tweeds on the side, and all the "real" cases on the left. Very organized indeed. I'm guessing he also has an alphabetized vinyl collection.

Thanks
    hahaha so funny. That's my line too.

Thread Information