Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DIY Guitar Case Rack

Thanks

DIY Guitar Case Rack

Sign in to disable this ad
    I got tired of case clog, so I built a rack to house some of them.

The design is very basic but repeatable, expandable, and can be constructed to fit most shapes and sizes. I suppose you could stack them and even make them longer, but it might look like a library or a stretch Hummer limo.

The wood is all off the shelf from The Orange Virus (Home Depot) and the cuts are minimal. I have a compound miter saw but a hand saw would work just as well.

The design is based on two sheets of 2x4x3/4 cabinet grade plywood along with 3 pieces of 1x4x8ft finished grade pine. I also used a short piece of scrap 2x2 for extra support on the base. Total cost? I think it was around $80.

The thing is built like a tank and it even rolls. The older I get, the more I love wheels!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_2344-jpg  

Thanks
    The only tricky part is angling the 1x4's at the base and the top so that the cases lean slightly. I was forced to return to 10th grade geometry and I quickly discovered why I don't like math.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_2345-jpg  

Thanks
    The rack is OK...but, you do realize that the rack actually takes up more space than the cases did, and you could just lean the cases into the corner one next to the other, and just added something at the open end to hold the first case.

Are these just the empty cases or do they have guitars inside?
    If they have guitars too, I can see the security of the rack...but if it's just for empty case, I'm not sure I would bother.
    I got all my guitars hanging on the walls...and the cases...well, about 4-5 are under one bed, 6 in one closet, another 6 in a second closet...and there's a few more, somewhere...plus I have three on the studio floor, but they have guitars in them 'cuz I ran out of wall space to hand the guitars!

Thanks
    cases-jpgAh - I'm doing it wrong then.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 907 Posts
    I like it! Looks nice and tidy.
    Thinking maybe you could cut those side panels diagonally and get twice the value? Might look a bit less obtrusive too?
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    I like it! Looks nice and tidy.
    Thinking maybe you could cut those side panels diagonally and get twice the value? Might look a bit less obtrusive too?
    I thought about that but this is just lazy man's power tool fun. I wouldn't want to loose a finger in the process or get sawdust all over my garage studio. And I was trying to avoid the guitar-shaped sides that are used by the main case rack manufacturer:

The Studio™ Deluxe Guitar Case Rack Guitar Storage

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    cases-jpgAh - I'm doing it wrong then.

I sometimes dream of a world where I can live like that. But I'm much to much of a clean-line minimalist sprinkled with OCD dust.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dwillis45 View Post
    ...I was trying to avoid the guitar-shaped sides that are used by the main case rack manufacturer:

The Studio™ Deluxe Guitar Case Rack Guitar Storage
    It's funny to me that on their website they say it's a "space saving" rack...but how does it do that?
    The cases take up the same amount of space, plus the rack.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    The rack is OK...but, you do realize that the rack actually takes up more space than the cases did, and you could just lean the cases into the corner one next to the other, and just added something at the open end to hold the first case.

Are these just the empty cases or do they have guitars inside?
    If they have guitars too, I can see the security of the rack...but if it's just for empty case, I'm not sure I would bother.
    I got all my guitars hanging on the walls...and the cases...well, about 4-5 are under one bed, 6 in one closet, another 6 in a second closet...and there's a few more, somewhere...plus I have three on the studio floor, but they have guitars in them 'cuz I ran out of wall space to hand the guitars!
    Everything I have basically stays in this case until it's played. I've never been much of a guitar display guy. Too much dust and too many opportunities for my granddaughter to crush herself under the weight of a National NRP. I suppose the downside is case rash. But I'm not too worried. I'll be dead by the time that happens. So it's up to my estate to sort out.

I did have the cases laying on tables in the studio, but things got a little crowded. Plus, in my paranoia I began to worry about unwanted reflections. And let's face it, sometimes working on the studio is more fun that working in it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    It's funny to me that on their website they say it's a "space saving" rack...but how does it do that?
    The cases take up the same amount of space, plus the rack.

I think their business model relies on angry wives and dudes that stack their guitars in the living room.

Thread Information